Mint 17.01 Rebeca xfce

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
Hi guys I installed Mint 17.1 Rebeca XFCE on an Emachines with Intel P4 and every time i boot to the desktop i'm presented with the Terminal with this script" anybody knows how to get rid of it,it's annoying,thanks

bash: /usr/bin/mint-fortune: No such file or directory
frank@frank-desktop ~ $

also want to share this with you guys, I installed Mint 17.1 Rebeca XFCE along side WIN XP with dual boot on my Laptop Sony Vaio VGN 195, Intel Centrino NON PAE CPU 1.5GHZ,1 Gb Mem with Force Pae,and you know what it installed great and runs great,and it's supported till 2019, while i had Xubuntu 12.04 that also run great but only supported till this coming April,since Ubuntu Products lack of NON PAE distros with support anymore , this is a great find,remind that i've tried all the Ubuntu distros and none installed in this NON PAE Pentium M. so anybody that has this old P M Machines it's good news.

Attachments

Setanta

Joined Mar 12, 2012
Have a look in /etc/bash.bashrc, you might find a line that looks like /usr/bin/mint-fortune.

If there is just comment it out: #/usr/bin/mint-fortune or delete and the line and save the file.

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
Have a look in /etc/bash.bashrc, you might find a line that looks like /usr/bin/mint-fortune.

If there is just comment it out: #/usr/bin/mint-fortune or delete and the line and save the file.
Thanks Setanta; but i went the easy way out, re-installed Mint 17.1 and all good,besides i don't know how to do that in Mint, is that typing Nano /etc/bash.bashrc , like in Ubuntu?

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
Yeah that's it. You may have needed to use sudo if you user didn't have permissions to modify the file e.g:

sudo nano /etc/bash.bashrc
Thanks Setanta;
(You may have needed to use sudo if you user didn't have permissions to modify the file e.g:)
\
I never understood this! i'm the only user and put my password and name when i installed OPS,also have to use SUDO when installing software,why is that? is there any other way that i don't have to use SUDO?
and how i can have permissions to modify the file? thanks

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

SUDO means as much as "SUperuser DO".
With the SUDO command , you will get root rights for as long as the process takes.

Bertus

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
You can also type "su root" and enter the root password at the "password" prompt. That allows you to do administration tasks with root privileges so you don't have to type "sudo" for each command. Always make sure you cancel root privileges by typing "exit" or su <yourusername> Doing general computing tasks with while root can mess things up!

tom_s

Joined Jun 27, 2014
personal preferred option, not to actually create a root account

sudo -s and put your password in again.

instant root (proviso you listed in admin group)