Mining asteroids

dthx

Joined May 2, 2013
I say a snippit of info on the probability of going up and capturing an asteroid and bringing it back to harvest it's minerals....suppose to be billions of $$$ of metals in one....I sure depending on size, makeup, ..
....said that we should expect to be doing this in about 10 years....
Anyone seen a good article on that?
Then there is the possibility of bring down a virus that we cant live with...?
Dont know how they'll decontaminate em....
Maybe radiate em on the way down....but off world critters....may not behave like we want em too....
just saying....
D.

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
Saw an article on that not long ago, some Billionaire, maybe Richard Branson; was talking about the Millions that investors have already put into the project.

Maybe the virus could be trained just to do away with politicians, and preachers.;)

dthx

Joined May 2, 2013
I am shocked that you would say that....!!
I cant comment on that...wer'e not suppose to talk about Religion or Politics....
So I cant say that I agree with you ....agree that particular virus would be well received....that would be against the rules......
And Brutus is an honorable man....

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I am shocked that you would say that....!!
I cant comment on that...wer'e not suppose to talk about Religion or Politics....
The rule is against talking about religion an politics. I interpreted metalman's comment to be about atheism and anarchy. Both are fair game according to the rule because, by definition, atheism is not a religion and anarchy is not a political system.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Better to work on a way to use the energy that becomes available by reducing the velocity of an asteroid and dropping it into our gravity well. Just try to get it out in megajoules of heat energy instead of kilotons of impact.