Minimum SOP

jwxie518

Joined Oct 15, 2010
Reduce the following expressions to a minimum SOP form.

\(\[f = x'y'z + w'xz + wxyz' + wxz + w'xyz\]\) (to 3 terms, 7 literals)

My final answer was x'y'z + xz + xy
The book gives y'z + xz + wxy, which I think is irreducible.

My question is, for minimum SOP, do I have to find the solution that is irreducible (and also matches the condition, 3 terms & 7 literals)?

I basically applied twice ab + ab' = a (adjacency)

first time, wxyz' + w'xyz (where xy is a, b = wz')
then this reduces to

f = x'y'z + w'xz + xy + wxz
and again, w' is the b, and xz is the a, so we have x'y'z + xz + xy

It's true the first and last terms can be reduced. But this form is also 3 terms and 7 literals.

Thank you for input!

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I'm afraid you have a mistake. You have included at least minterm #12 in your map. That is visible by the grouping XY you have done. 1100 satisfies XY but it doesn't satisfy any of the terms of the f as described above. Your book has the right answer, which is also the only one.

jwxie518

Joined Oct 15, 2010
yes, you are right, using the K-map I will get the right answer.

But say I need to prove both.
Say I am doing the simplification using only switching algebra.
How are my steps wrong?

I appreciate your input, Thank you sir!

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I basically applied twice ab + ab' = a (adjacency)

first time, wxyz' + w'xyz (where xy is a, b = wz')
then this reduces to

f = x'y'z + w'xz + xy + wxz
Well, there's your problem! Notice that in order to reduce a(b+b') to a, the two terms in the parenthesis must be complementary. But complementary the wz' and w'z are not. (wz')'=w'+z.

I say it all the time to inquirers of this forum and it's still not enough. When you are a starter in the Boolean algebra, don't assume anything. Prove everything over and over because things don't work exactly like the regular algebra.

jwxie518

Joined Oct 15, 2010
Yes you are right. Now I know why I always end up in a wrong expression because I forgot that it's a product of two variables, and the complement is the sum of product like you said.

Thank you!