Miniature Elevator

haunted

Joined Nov 9, 2008
For our investigative research, we plan to make a model elevator. Just a really simple one, only 2 storeys high. We might also build it using wood. Is this advisable?

I might have forgotten to add that we're only high school seniors with NO IDEA how to make this elevator work. Initial plan is to make it battery-operated, but changes can be made if that's too complicated.

I know this has been tackled in other threads, but we want this to be as simple as possible. If it can just be a box that can go up and down, that would be perfectly fine. The main point is to show the application of physics, not with the accuracy with the real thing.

Please help us out. With the motors, circuits and everything. Thank you all very much!

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
I would use some motor, pulley, rope and somethng to guide the cabin. From the electrical point of view you just need two end limit switches, two buttons, few relays and a power source.

How big will it be?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

For safety check if the door is closed before moving the elevator.
Open the door when the elevator is on the same level as the floor.
A sensor on the cage can detect that.

Greetings,
Bertus

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
I know this has been tackled in other threads, but we want this to be as simple as possible. If it can just be a box that can go up and down, that would be perfectly fine. The main point is to show the application of physics, not with the accuracy with the real thing.
I suggest a DC motor (easily reversible), Kubeek's limit switches & pulley (see his post above), and a suitable counterweight for your box.

floomdoggle

Joined Sep 1, 2008
For a start. yes the box could be easily made out of plywood. Try a winch from a Jeep or truck as a motor. Alot will depend on the weight you are pulling. If you can, build the cage and weigh it, then you can calculate the horsepower. I am assuming it is for demonstration purposes only, any additional load would have to be factored in. Also, look at a garage door opener, works the same way.
Dan

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
As the elevator has only two positions, you can run it with water. Use a container instead of a counterweight. Add water to pull the car up, and remove some to let it down.

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
You can make things easy by using a small linear actuator to make a model elevator similar to the full size hydraulic units. From a control perspective it's exactly the same as a motor and pulley but everything is contained within one unit.

haunted

Joined Nov 9, 2008
Everything's been helpful, thanks guys.

Although we do have a problem. How do we make it brake? Like, it pauses on one floor and doesn't go straight up?

And if we're using DC motor, do we still need a battery chamber? How can we install that?

Thanks again.