Mini Speaker

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Turing, May 22, 2013.

1. Turing

Thread Starter New Member

May 14, 2013
    I have an assignment to make a speaker in a circuit (along with other things). The speaker I have is an 1-1/8" 8Ω Mini Speaker from Radio Shack (Part 273-0092). In the assignment I am only allotted a maximum of 6V from a lantern battery. I was able to get static coming from the speaker, but I don't know how to get specific sounds to the speaker (if I can...). Any suggestions as to how to wire in a manner to get recorded sounds (I'm thinking a song) from the speaker?

2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Whoa! What level school, college or university are you in? What course is this?

3. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    The best you can hope for is a square wave tone with a pair of transistors, four resistors and two capacitors. You can also do the same with a 555 timer chip from radio shack.

Otherwise, if you are reasonably close to an AM radio station, you can try to make a high gain transistor circuit (or op amp circuit) and touch the input with your finger (using yourself as the antenna. This is not a sure fire way of making a noise coming from a circuit, it just randomly happens sometimes when building high gain amps.

What I am really trying to say is, buy a 555 timer from radio shack and the variety pack of resistors and the variety pack of electrolytic capacitors. Make a tone (google astable multivibrator circuit with 555 timer"). Build one, add a capacitor to the output (200uF) and connect the cap tithe speaker and the other speaker wire to ground (-).

Last option would be to simply connect the speaker to a radio -I doubt your teacher will approve.

4. LDC3

Apr 27, 2013
    What about using the greeting card music devices?

5. edwardholmes91

Feb 25, 2013
    You might be interested in something like this that I made Toy Piano. You can change the complexity and number of notes as you require. The 555 timer is used as an astable and generates a square wave, the frequency of which can be adjusted by selecting different resistor values using a stylus. GopherT was referring you to a similar circuit design.