Mini Generator? Eh?

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
I saw some videos about creating mini generator.

Um, actually.

it's needed motor, magnets, wires

but cant understand. :(

what materials do i need? pls specify it. :D

Instructions???

No, i dont need higher voltage. i just want to see it. :D

thanks!!!

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
@Kermit2,

The video you have posted was the one that I viewed that I can't understand. :(

Anyway, it would be possible to make a 12 volts generator? Let's say 12 ampere per hour.

It would be great if it produces AC. :)

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Anyway, it would be possible to make a 12 volts generator? Let's say 12 ampere per hour.
Lightfire, you've made several posts now that are confusing AMPS, an instantaneous measure of current flow, and amp-hours, a cumulative measure of current flow over time and the mathematical product of amps times hours. So your request for "12 ampere per hour" is nonsensical. If it can generate 12A, it can do it forever until it breaks. Don't worry, many people make this mistake. Many are confused about kilowatts and kilowatt-hrs.

Anyway, a 12A generator would be very difficult for a beginner. It would need to resemble the alternator in a car. In fact a used alternator from the junk yard would be a very good starting point. (An automotive alternator generates AC, by the way, but this is converted internally to DC.) A demonstration of lighting an LED is much more practical. And you can do this with many small DC motors. You can also build your own generator. The principle involved was elucidated by Faraday: Moving a magnet past a conductor will generate a current in the conductor. You should read about Faraday and Maxwell at the Wiki regarding magnetism.

jt6245

Joined Feb 18, 2011
In low speed revolution, stepper motor is much more easy than dc motor to generate sufficient voltage for demo. If you are using dc motor ,you may need gears or other method to speed up the motion.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Same here. Another good experiment, short the motor and try to spin it (it resists), then remove the short and try again, it should spin much freeier.