mini circuit breaker

aac9876

Joined Dec 9, 2006
I have an XM radio, 5v 1.5 amps. I have destroyed 2 others using them in the house due to voltage spikes after blackouts came back on.I was going to run it off a 12v battery but thats pricey. Is there such thing as a micro circuit breaker,plug or inline, that shuts off when the power goes out and has to be reset manually. I have a Belkin surge plug but you just cant depend on them. I need a sure thing to keep surge away from this thing. Its an Onyx.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You could wire a relay to latch itself on when you close a momentary pushbutton. It would lose its latch when the power fails and you'd have to push the button to restart it.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
X2 on the relay. I have modified power strips set up exactly like that for my computers and the wife's electronic embroidery sewing machine.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Here is what I did. Relay is actually a DPDT with contacts wired in parallel so drawing only shows SPDT.
The relay is in a socket and I got all parts at Radio Shack. This is used in the United States so 120VAC, 60HZ so persons with different house power, the relay coil must match the line voltage. If you note, the relay current is rated for resistive loads. Since it never has to interrupt power by dropping out, I haven't had any problems. (It only drops when power fails. The reset button picks the relay up before any of the loads are restarted, so the contacts aren't really switching much, if any, power.

EDIT: Just noticed that I missed tying the U-Ground of the two center recepts to ground........Normally a bus bar in the Power Strip.

Attachments

Last edited: