Millionnaires!!!

Converting net worth into Transylvanian drachmas, I would venture to say that all contributors to this forum are cash millionaires.

On serious note though, I do have some ocean-front property in Arizona for sale to anyone willing to expound on their financial status before a global internet audience.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
On the other hand, most of us regulars aren't poor either.

If you can afford browsing the net 4-6 hours a day, you probably don't have an economic problem.

If you do, then probably you 're doing something wrong.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
On a second though, there are a bunch of 4-by-3 net-cafes filled with immigrant Pakistani in my neighborhood.

I guess internet isn't a luxury anymore.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
On a second though, there are a bunch of 4-by-3 net-cafes filled with immigrant Pakistani in my neighborhood.

I guess internet isn't a luxury anymore.
And what makes you think they are not millionaires relaxing in the Cafe all day trading stock options? :D

When I was an apprentice tech in a big steelworking company and us techs and engineers all thought we were hotshots, hand picked from tens of thousands of applicants and made it through to the electronics side (the highest and most selective of all the pay grades there). Spending all our money on fast cars etc as young guys do and one day a friend and I were walking through the plant and came across a couple of the floor sweepers.

These were old ethnic guys with no skills, most could barely speak english, and their job was to sweep up the factory dust all day but they seemed to spend more time in pairs leaning on their brooms and talking to each other in Yogoslav or something.

My friend said "Hi Mr X" quite politely and later I found out that old floorsweeper Mr X owned the house that my friend rented. And some other houses, and blocks of flats.

While we thought we were hotshots heading for high paygrade careers etc these old ethnic guys with "no skills" that could only get the very "worst job" were leaning on their brooms all day standing there discussing their multi-million real estate portfolios and financing.

They liked the floor sweeper jobs, no hassles, steady (financable) pay, good overtime, and almost all day standing around talking to each other...

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
And what makes you think they are not millionaires relaxing in the Cafe all day trading stock options? :D

These were old ethnic guys with no skills, most could barely speak english, and their job was to sweep up the factory dust all day but they seemed to spend more time in pairs leaning on their brooms and talking to each other in Yogoslav or something.

My friend said "Hi Mr X" quite politely and later I found out that old floorsweeper Mr X owned the house that my friend rented. And some other houses, and blocks of flats.

While we thought we were hotshots heading for high paygrade careers etc these old ethnic guys with "no skills" that could only get the very "worst job" were leaning on their brooms all day standing there discussing their multi-million real estate portfolios and financing.

They liked the floor sweeper jobs, no hassles, steady (financable) pay, good overtime, and almost all day standing around talking to each other...
Hahahahahah....:D I like that!!!
But you should be careful with those kind if people...some of them are spies!;)

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I worked with a tech overseas a couple of years ago who was almost a millionaire. He probably is a millionaire by now. He was single, no dependents. He stayed as an expat overseas for 4 years straight, so he didn't pay taxes. His room and board were paid by the company, in addition to per diem for food. His expenses were zero, his taxes were zero, and he made about 150,0000/year. He never went out drinking, and the only thing he spent his money on was expensive test equipment. Since he had all this money piling up and nothing to do with it, he put it in stocks. Played the stock market when he wasn't working. He casually mentioned one time that he had 700,000$ floating around in the market, like it was no big deal.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Is "millionaire" even a valid term these days? I think it was a 1920's boom era term when a "million bucks" was something totally incredible.
I've been thinking about this statement since you posted it, and I agree, obviously 1 million dollars is a lot less now than it was historically. However I also considered where a "millionaire" is on the ladder in 1920 and 2012. How large is their wealth in comparison to the top dog? How large is their wealth compared to the poor? I found this site, which covers the richest Americans in history. I think that A millionaire in 1920 was totally eclipsed by the big dog, John D Rockefeller, probably to a very similar degree, or to the same degree, as a millionaire of today is eclipsed by the big dog Bill Gates.

It's amazing, Rockefeller's fortune accounted for 1.53% of the wealth of America in his day. Those who have beef with the 1% in this country in 2012 would have a much bigger target to direct their protests at in 1920.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Thanks for the link Strantor. :) Regarding my point about the hype of the term "millionaire" it was originally a term of wonder, in the 1920's a teachers salary was about $970 in 2010 a teachers salary is about $45000.

So for that same sense of wonder of the term as in its original context, a "millionaire" these days would have a wealth > 45 million, maybe a lot more depending how you factor the change in the value of money over those 90 years.

And as you said said re your overseas friend someone on a decent wage with low expenses could save that kind of money in a decade, and even at low income wages ie;"poor" people it is conceivable that if husband and wife work it is easily possible to save a "million bucks".

I'm just not sure the term is that relevant anymore? I saw someone on a movie say "deca-millionaire" a while back, maybe that will be the new term of reference. Even in as short a time as a decade from now typical city houses may easily grow in value from $600k to 1mil.

Is it possible to have an ocean front property in Arizona!!!!???
I got some ocean-front property in Arizona
From the front porch you can see the sea

Got some ocean front property in Arizona
And if you'll buy that I'll throw the Golden Gate in free

[ Quotation with due apologies to the country singer who originally penned the lyrics ]

Blackbull

Joined Jul 26, 2008
Ah right; we can't see the sea from where I live but it is only 15 minutes away, and that includes the time taken to warm up the engine of the Jet Provost.