Million dollar idea up for grabs

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by maxpower097, Dec 6, 2011.

1. maxpower097

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Ok so I'm reading this about the accident with the model and plane propellor.
    http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blog...ren-scruggs-body-mangled-plane-214636964.html
    Then I think could this have been avoided if it were standard law that all small propeller aircraft have LED's embedded into the blade tips that turn on when the plane stops. That way at night time people can see the blades spinning. Like on RC heli's.

2. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    man that sucks. walking into a giant vertical blender. :(

3. jimkeith

Oct 26, 2011
    The LEDs are the easy part--getting power to them is a little tricky--how about a wound stator on the rear hub of the propeller and permanent magnets on the front of the gearbox or engine?

Better yet: fiber optics running from the tips to the hub, illuminated by a stationary high intensity lamp--opearte only when the engine is running landing gear is down.

4. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    or a magnet on the plane and a coil on the prop. like a magneto in small engines for the spark.

EDIT: DOH I said the same thing you said. why did I not realize I was saying the same thing?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  5. jimkeith

Oct 26, 2011
    @standtor--forgiven--I often fail to read and understand too...

How do you protect blind passengers?

Clearly pilot error in my book--how do you keep the plane from crashing? a more relevant issue

6. maxpower097

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
  7. jimkeith

Oct 26, 2011
  8. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    In the desert, rotors of full sized helos will emit a blue-green glow near rotor tips when they are worn. An aviation version of "St Elmo's Fire"

There's a few pictures of them around, look for "Halo" with apache, osprey, blackhawk, etc.