Midi to USB or Firewire interface

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by d_drmr, Dec 22, 2007.

1. d_drmr

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 22, 2007
    I am currently designing an automated guitar system. The only thing left to
    design is the midi interface for the guitar input and footcontroller to PC software.
    Any ideas or help is greatly appriciated.

Thanks!

2. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Take a look at using the game port on a sound card; that's one of the most popular ways. Sequencing programs such as Cakewalk have built-in support for that.

There used to be dedicated MIDI interface cards available, but you'll probably find that a sound card will be a more economical and versatile approach, not to mention more available.

MIDI is quite slow compared to USB; although it's pretty versatile it's still a relatively ancient specification.

Older MIDI instruments would have a hard time with a speedy data pipeline. I have to slow things down quite a bit when I'm talking to my ancient Roland U20 keyboard, or I get parity errors - it simply can't keep up. It's my understanding that Rolands were notoriously slow in the MIDI department anyway.

I had a Midiman midi interface board for an 8088 IBM PC clone computer that I'd bought in the late 1980's. Midiman is now M-Audio, they're still around under the new name. Their website:
    http://www.m-audio.com/

You want an interface with low latency. It's going to be tough trying to build something that'll work anywhere near as well as one of their commercial products - and you'll have invested a lot of time and money to boot.