Microwave repair: humming noise / fuse blown

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Its a long time since I bought a microwave - some people in the flats just leave them in the corridor because they're too lazy to take them down to the bin room.

Most I bothered to rescue, only had very minor faults - on one, the only fault was a wrongly wired mains plug so the metal case was live.

Recently I won a microwave/grill combo - the only thing wrong was a blown bulb.

Its lined up ready to use - just waiting for the last rescue to conk out.
No No don't get me wrong I repair stuff all the time .. I just would not have gone so deep unless I really have too.. Matter of fact alot of my stuff is repaired electronics ..

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
No No don't get me wrong I repair stuff all the time .. I just would not have gone so deep unless I really have too.. Matter of fact alot of my stuff is repaired electronics ..
The microwave oven is probably the most dangerous domestic appliance to work on, and most people won't have relevant parts in the junk box unless they've gone out of their way to salvage from scrap ovens.

Capacitors and rectifiers are pretty much generic, but transformers and magnetrons have various mounting lugs and don't always fit what you want it to.

There's a few spares I hang on to and a couple of spare ovens stowed in the garage, but ATM: I've already got the mext microwave shoved in a corner of the kitchen ready to spring into action.

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
My latest curb side MWO pick up was last week.
I plugged it in to see what the problem was, and I couldn't find one.
I tried to put a cup of water in the cabinet to test it, but when I pushed to Door Opening button, the door would not open.

I took it apart, and found that the door button had jumbed out of it's hinge.
I fixed that, and re-enforced the sides of the hinge to prevent a repeat.

It works great...
It was from 2009 I think, and clean as a whistle.

Sometimes you get lucky.