Microwave Filters

Antonio

Joined May 29, 2007
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me how to find out the power handling capability of Microwave Filters like interdigital bandpass filters?

Thanking you in advance.

Antonio

Joined May 29, 2007
Hi beenthere,
Thanks for the reply and the website. The information in the website is quite useful. :)

Is there any IEEE paper or any journal on Microwave where power handling calculation is given for interdigital bandpass filters?

Is there any way to figure out the maximum power handling for interdigital bandpass filter through EM simulation or mathematical calculations using coupling coefficients?

Antonio

Joined May 29, 2007
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the paper.

Can anyone tell me how to find the maximum electric field intensity inside the filter using any 3D simulator?? :confused:

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the paper.

Can anyone tell me how to find the maximum electric field intensity inside the filter using any 3D simulator?? :confused:
How do you mean "inside the filter"? Do you mean physically inside the filter from an externally irradiated source?

Dave

Antonio

Joined May 29, 2007
Hi Dave,
Yes you are correct.
Take an example of Round rod interdigital bandpass filter. So if I connect the source to the filter, then what will be the maximum electric field intensity inside the cavity of the filter?

Is there any way to find out this using any 3D simulator?

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Hi Dave,
Yes you are correct.
Take an example of Round rod interdigital bandpass filter. So if I connect the source to the filter, then what will be the maximum electric field intensity inside the cavity of the filter?

Is there any way to find out this using any 3D simulator?
Yes, quite easily. What sorts of frequencies are we looking at?

Dave

Antonio

Joined May 29, 2007
Hi Dave,
I have designed a filter at 2 GHz with 8% bandwidth.

Can you suggest any effective 3D simulator which I can use to find out maximum field intensity inside the cavity of filter and maximum power handling capability of the filter?

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Hi Dave,
I have designed a filter at 2 GHz with 8% bandwidth.

Can you suggest any effective 3D simulator which I can use to find out maximum field intensity inside the cavity of filter and maximum power handling capability of the filter?
If you can get access to it, Ansoft HFSS is ideal for this type of HF problem, you will be able to model all field parameters (including your own mathematically derived functions), but specifically E/H intensity and power density distribution. For anything in the microwave frequency band this is what I use, and I use Maxwell 3D for anything in the RF range.

If you can model it I would be more than happy to take a look at your HFSS files and give you pointers on your model and solutions.

Dave