microwave design

Discussion in 'Wireless & RF Design' started by electronic_noob, Oct 7, 2010.

1. electronic_noob

Thread Starter Member

Jan 15, 2010
    I need help, we we're asked to design a microwave link I'm all blank here. I have a site, that is about 45 miles. Ah just want to know where to start, What are the computation I need to compute first...and the one that really puzzles me is how would I know the Frequency I will use in the transmission. And how would I find the devices that would match my project. And our transmission would pass by sea...yeah they say that's pretty, challenging:D.

Need to finish this thing...I thought this was easy so I ignored it for a while, but theres too many considerations and it's eating all my time (slowly eating away my deadline)

Please I need help, any help would do to finish this

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  3. electronic_noob

Thread Starter Member

Jan 15, 2010

microwave link...ok how do I define it, can I define it with sort of tags.
    LOS(line of sight transmission), well microwave frequency is 1GHZ above I'm just planning to build a microwave link between two points,...ah two antenna towers to be exact that would interact with each other using a microwave frequency, It's pretty hard to search for this kind of info on the net, those I found is really pretty hard to understand...I need some "gas" to start this project:D, please help, thanks in advance

4. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  5. electronic_noob

Thread Starter Member

Jan 15, 2010

Microwave radio relay links for television and telephone service providers (from wikipedia I guess this is what I'm going to do)

6. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  7. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    You may encounter some prpblems if you only use one link in the 45 mile stretch. Much better to use two links in that distance. 20-22 miles is the max dependable distance for bad weather, interference conditions. Also the LOS for 45 miles would require a considerable tower to get above the horizon.

I speak as a former TV station engineer who oversaw the transmission link between two cities 50 miles apart. We used two links in that distance and still had ocassional transmission interference. We also had the links on 300 ft towers. (X-band is most common)

8. electronic_noob

Thread Starter Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  9. electronic_noob

Thread Starter Member

Jan 15, 2010

So in that case to avoid that kind of problems I need to establish a repeater? Between my link? Do you have any article on the transmission link that you build that is 50 miles apart ( I could include it on my documentation, just a little snippets of the report I guess would do ^ ^)
    You seem to know about this thing pretty well, could you send me some useful link to which I could use, and how would I know the exact frequency I'm going to use in transmission? And should I go window shopping for the device to be use first before I go start with computations?

(and a repeater would be good, if I would establish a repeater there's a chance that I could avoid the sea)

help appreciated, thanks