microvave signal polarity

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by electronewb, Apr 29, 2013.

1. electronewb

Thread Starter Member

Apr 24, 2012
    How does polarity in a microwave or any RF signal gets created? Vertical, horizontal, L circular , R circular. Is it the waveguide or the actual feed horn that creates the polarity? And how is it created?

2. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    The correct term is polarization, not polarity.

Read the wiki first, then ask your questions.

Edit: I'm feeling kind hearted here is the link from the #1 Google hit on the word polarization.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarization_(waves)

Really? What exactly did you expect?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  3. electronewb

Thread Starter Member

Apr 24, 2012
    I already looked online. Not the type of answer I expected from that forum. But thanks anyways.

4. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Have you read this?

5. electronewb

Thread Starter Member

Apr 24, 2012
    No I haven't but I will read it for sure thanks. The reason why I'm asking is because somebody told me that the polarity in a microwave signal is due "to a bunch of diodes" different diodes arrangements= different polarity

6. Lundwall_Paul

Oct 18, 2011
    Radar Systems that I worked on polarization was done either by the feed horn or a lens. Both systems used conical scanning.

7. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    I'm not sure about the physics behind that statement. Microwaves have numerous properties that are counter intuitive. This is rooted in the relationship between the wavelength of the signals and the dimensions of the components used to implement transmitters and receivers.

In the HF region from say 3 MHz to 30 MHz the wavelengths are on the order of 10's of meters. Here the wavelength of the signals is much greater than the dimensions of the components. Some people still think RF Engineering is black magic but circuits are easier to construct and debug with inexpensive (relatively) tools.

electronewb likes this.