Microsoft ?

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by Mathematics!, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Mathematics!

Thread Starter Senior Member

Jul 21, 2008
    I am wondering to use active directories/setup active directories.
    Must you have microsoft server software or can you just use a regular windows client computer?

I.E must you run microsoft server 2003 , 2008r2 ,...etc
    Or can you just use windows xp , vista , or 7 instead of paying for the $1000 microsoft server software.

My main goal is to learn how to configure and setup active directory on a small home network which has about 20 computers
    Is it possible to setup domain controllers ,...etc with out the server software or do you really need software

NOTE: I DON'T WANT TO USE LINUX/MAC BASED computers on my network so openldap and samba are off limits

curious

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  2. Mathematics!

Thread Starter Senior Member

Jul 21, 2008
    never mind I found out you need to use server software for active directory setup.
    unfortunately

But their is a 60day trial version of microsofts server software on their site

3. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Masochist.

Read the resource manuals and the TechNet CDs, you can learn a lot in 60 days if you read that stuff first.

4. jaygatsby

Nov 23, 2011
    Server 2008 has a free trial, I think 60 days like mentioned before. But you know what? You can renew that a few times. So you get 6 months without Microsoft wanting you to buy a license. So if it's experimentation you're after, this might work for you.