microsd card detect - 5V?

ToBeFrank

Joined Nov 18, 2010
Is it safe to connect the card detect switch of a microsd connector to a 5V pullup? If it's just a switch that isn't electrically connected to the microsd card (the card simply connects it), I think this is ok, but I wanted to verify.

ToBeFrank

Joined Nov 18, 2010
I know that, but as I said, I'm wondering if the card detect is simply a switch that gets connected when the card gets inserted. If it is, and it's not electrically connected to the microsd, I'm safe using a 5V pullup. That means I don't have to do a level translation from 3.3V to 5V.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
I know that, but as I said, I'm wondering if the card detect is simply a switch that gets connected when the card gets inserted. If it is, and it's not electrically connected to the microsd, I'm safe using a 5V pullup. That means I don't have to do a level translation from 3.3V to 5V.
Are you already using 5V directly with your microSD card?

Also, most 5V ICs will accept anything >2V as logic high. Check the datasheet for minimum inputs; stay clear of them, and you should be fine with 3.3V.

ToBeFrank

Joined Nov 18, 2010
Are you already using 5V directly with your microSD card?
No, I have a voltage regulator to provide 3.3V from the 5V supply, and the circuit is set up to properly interface the 3.3V and 5V devices.

Also, most 5V ICs will accept anything >2V as logic high. Check the datasheet for minimum inputs; stay clear of them, and you should be fine with 3.3V.
This is why I want to use a 5V pullup. The micro I'm using has a minimum logic high of 3.25V, which means I have to use a mosfet to translate the 3.3V to 5V on all outputs of the microsd. If I can use a 5V pullup for the card detect line, I can avoid one mosfet and the associated resistors.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
That's if there is current flow through the 1N914/1N4148 diodes. 0.5mA would be about right, a 6.2k resistor to ground would give just a bit more than that.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
You're right, the diodes won't drop voltage unless a tiny bit is going through them.
A 4.7K might be easier for him to find and work just as well.

Everyone should have at least 100 of these on their shelf:
1N4148 (or 914) @ 0.01 ea
10K 1/4W 1% @ 0.02 ea
4.7K 1/4W 1% @ 0.02 ea
2N3904, 2N3906, etc stuff that's dirt cheap.