Microprocessor example

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by fireintheit, Sep 7, 2014.

1. fireintheit

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 14, 2014
    Hi

I was wondering if there is any websites that walk you through how to connect microprocessor pins to peripherals. I found many videos and tutorials that explained what a microprocessor is, but I did not find any that showed example of a microprocessor being used.

2. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
  3. RRITESH KAKKAR

Jun 29, 2010
    I have done with 8085 there are many thread of it i posted u can find on Google.

4. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  5. fireintheit

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 14, 2014
    I was hopping for tutorial on microprocessor and connecting it to peripherals, but I guess I can use a micro-controller.

6. BR-549

Sep 22, 2013
    What does "connect microprocessor pins to peripherals" mean exactly?
    The more detailed the question.....the more detailed the answer.
    Is it a secret?
    Tell us what you got and what you want to do, it's easy.

7. absf

Dec 29, 2010
    Are you wanting to connect peripherals like LCD displays and 7-segment display to microprocessors like 6809, 8085 or Z80? You cannot do this directly without making some ports on the micro. For example you can make input ports using 74HC244 and output ports using 74HC373.

The only uP AFAIK that you can connected LED and SSD directly to it is the 1802 (???). Google for COSMAC ELF and see the circuits on how to do it.

Most MCUs have input and output ports as well as program and data memories all built in. That's why you can connect the peripherals directly to the mcu...

Allen

8. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Things change over time. It used to be the case that you connected peripherals to the main bus of a microprocessor. That is is seldom done anymore with the rise of the Harvard Architecture and the vastly more convenient SPI and I2C interfaces. Add to that the deprecation of serial ports in favor pf USB; things just keep growing and evolving. What's a poor engineer to do? Keep learning new things all the time. Don't waste time trying to recapture the past -- embrace the future.

There are numerous examples and application notes on the Microchip website and the Atmel website.
    www.microchip.com
    www.atmel.com

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  9. kyle7119

Feb 11, 2011
  10. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    I think you first need to say what peripheral you want to use. Once you know that, it should be easy to find out in what way it should be controlled, and from that is just a small step to decide which pins on the micro to use, and if you need to care about different voltage levels.

In this example you can see three peripherals - SD card, realtime clock and RS232 serial interface. http://www.next.gr/uploads/6/SD_M32_RTC.JPG

11. susanne

Oct 29, 2014
    I think this would be quite helpful.