Microprocessor base electronic feautoscope

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by Olayiwola Akinyemi, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Olayiwola Akinyemi

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 14, 2008
    hi, am working ona microprocessor based electronic featus heartbeat sensor.The sensor detects the featus heartbeat against time and stores this on a PIC microcontroller. This can now be displayed on a seven segment display or an oscilloscope.My main problem is how to program this microprocessor so as to perform this function. please i need advice from you all

2. kender

Jan 17, 2007
    How do you distinguish the heartbeat of the fetus from the heartbeat of the mother?

3. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Electrode placement and the right reference location.

4. kender

Jan 17, 2007
    What's the right electrode and reference placement for the fetus EKG?

BTW, you've made an assumption that the EKG methods was chosen.

5. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    I don't know exactly - the shop I worked at made the first one back in the '70s. I heard about it, but never saw one. That one was EKG methodology.

This is a bit off to the side - the OP apparently has a working fetal monitor and wants to input an analog (?) waveform into the PIC and then have two displays, a basic rate and one that reproduces the original waveform.

The oscilloscope waveform, if I read correctly, could be accomplished most easily by going around the PIC and just inputting the monitor directly to the o'scope. If it's modern, it can probably sore a significant portion of the waveform for later analysis.

The rate display is just watching for those peaks and determining time between them.