microcontrollers

sonubkk

Joined Jun 13, 2006
hey guys,
i hv recently gained interest in microcontrollers and want to wrk with them.
i hv worked with electronics and programming be4.
the problem is which microcontroller shud i buy.there r so many in the market.pic,atmel,etc.. i hv no idea wat is all this so need some guidance.i want to use it for simple stuff with simple circuits.nth very complicated.
some suggestions pls......
thank u very much in advance

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Your writing is hard to read and understand. I'll be glad to try and help but you need to express your self in a different fashion.

sonubkk

Joined Jun 13, 2006
i am jus tryin to ask which microcontroller should a newbie like me buy.which is easy to program and understand...
thnx

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

You should be guided in your choice by the projects/uses you wish to apply the microcontroller to. We can't help because we don't know what those uses might be.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
It doesn't matter, they all basically do the same thing and have the same functions. You pick one and learn it, if you like it you stick with it. If you not you try another one. If you're looking for shortcuts you'll be disappointed because there aren't any.

Prodigal

Joined Oct 12, 2006
I'd recommend the Microchip PIC as an ideal device to start off with, if only because of the large hobbyist user base, and hence the amount of help, tutorials etc. that is available.

sci-3d

Joined Aug 22, 2006
Hi sonubkk,

I think , to begin, you should learn the 8 bits microcontroller such as 8051 family. It simple but powerfull. And it is the model of modern chip. I welcome you to visit my blog if you are interested in. :)

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
In addition to the suggestions already tendered, I would recommend you take a look at ATMEL's AVR 8-bit series.

You can download the free Assembler Software development tool AVRSTUDIO4 with built-in simulator at www.atmel.com .

Take a look at the ATSTK500 starter kit available from Digikey at around $80. You will need to purchase a power source. A wall-wart with the appropriate voltage can be obtained at Digikey also for around $20.

www.avrbeginners.net is a good site to go to for a quick tutorial on the AVR series.

hgmjr

Arm_n_Legs

Joined Mar 7, 2007
I would recommend C8051F226 from Silicon Labs. Flash-based with on-chip debugger (just like the Arm controller). Cost a bit more than the plain 8051 but it come will good debugging feature.