1. priyanksaxena555

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 7, 2013
    At present I'm working on both humidity, temperature display and control project for continuous working application.
    I am using atmega 16l microcontroller and it is working perfectly but I'm having doubt on its continuous working i.e round the clock.
    Please guide will it work perfectly in my continuous working application or should I switch to some other option.

2. sirch2

Jan 21, 2013
    Nothing is going to be "perfect", why would it not work reliably for a long period of time? Why is the MCU more likely to fail than your other components?

3. priyanksaxena555

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 7, 2013
    Dear sirch2

Thanks for your prompt suggestion.

My question is just about that microcontroller atmega16l can work 24*7 continuously for months. And on your question on my other components those sensing ic's which I'm using can work continuously.
    Please reply with microcontroller working conditions and its continuous working capability.

4. sirch2

Jan 21, 2013
  5. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Stay within the manufacturer's operating conditions for supply voltage, temperature, humidity, clock frequency, power dissipation, input and output currents and voltages.
    The chip should run non-stop for more than 300 years.

priyanksaxena555 likes this.
  6. Art

Distinguished Member

Sep 10, 2007
    The Flash Data Retention Time in the datasheet is what you want to look for.
    The micro won't do anything if it's not running a program.

How many times the device is power cycled, and subject to thermal expansion.
    There is also a slim chance a microcontroller can be erased when it is powered up.
    Atmel is prone to this.

Other things will more certainly break.
    Electrolytic caps will dry out, relays will get stuck, or kill an IO pin if it wasn't protected,
    solder joints themselves can become problematic after a decade or so.