Microcontroller to Excel

liqo12

Joined Jul 11, 2010
Hi,
I am doing a project for school involving PIC18F4550 uC and im trying to understand the concept of how i can go about connecting the uC to a computer and display data into an excel spreadsheet.

Just for your info the project is a sensor that detects people entering and leaving a room and im trying to get the uC to do some data logging of the time when a person enters or leaves the room along with the current total. Something like the image below which i manually entered those numbers.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks!

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
How about if you store your log data into a .txt or .csv file. Then you can manual import it into EXCEL once it is collected.

hgmjr

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Are you designing your PIC board or are you using an off the shelf design?

Have you had any experience writing Windows applications in Visual Basic or Visual C or other languages?

hgmjr

liqo12

Joined Jul 11, 2010
Im using C and i program it using the MPLAB IDE. and the uC is already fabricated to a board so i assume its off shelf design

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Im using C and i program it using the MPLAB IDE. and the uC is already fabricated to a board so i assume its off shelf design
OK. So you are using C to program your PIC. What is the part number of the PIC off-the-shelf board you are using?

hgmjr

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The picture is a totaly blur.
You can not read anything on it.
Try to make a picture using the "macro" function of the camera.

What kind of communication ports does the board have?
Does it have a RS232?
If so than you can setup a communication link to the PC using that.

Bertus

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
It looks like this board was designed specifically by or for your University. That means that the documentation for its capabilities would be available from the University's engineering department. You may be able to output your log data through the USB port to a Hyperterminal session on your PC. If so, then you will be spared the need to write a windows application that runs on the PC to take input from the USB port.

hgmjr

Last edited:

Bosparra

Joined Feb 17, 2010
If you don't have experience in writing Windows software, then I would suggest using something like HyperTerminal to display the data. No additional software required. You can then manually copy the data into excell.

Also have a read through application note AN956 - "Migrating Applications to USB from RS-232 UART with
Minimal Impact on PC Software" for more information. It is available on Microchip's website.