Microcontroller recommendations

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by badwolf, Oct 26, 2008.

1. badwolf

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Hi Everyone,

I have a question and i dont really know how to ask it so here goes. I am after a board caple of doing low level tasks on a hard drive. The problem is i need a board to develop and practice on but dont know what will be best. I need some sort of board that is capable of taking input in the form of a sata/ide input and then outputing in the same format, is that possible ?

Any information or links to microcontroller boards would be very useful

Kind regards and thanks for your help

Jonathan

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Can you define "low level"? Do you mean to make a board that duplicates the function of the controller already on a hard drive, or do you mean to organize data on a hard drive with a self-written DOS?

SATA and IDE interfaces are really different - you might wish to select one or the other.

3. badwolf

Oct 26, 2008
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply, ideally i would like to be able to allow data to flow through my device while performing functions on the data such as counting the bytes passed through and information like that. I would also like to be able to perform tasks on the hardware of the drive if possible.

I am happy to take recommendations on boards for both sata and ide interfaces as it will have work with both, but as seperate entities not on the same board

Thanks for you help and adivce

Regards

Jonathan

4. John Luciani

Apr 3, 2007
    If you need to low level tasks on IDE hard drives you are probably better off
    getting a simple motherboard and doing an adapter board that enables you to easliy
    connect and disconnect drives. It would be a lot faster and cheaper than doing a uC development board.

(* jcl *)

5. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    If you are going to perform functions as data flows through the board, calculate the transfer rate for the fastest hard drive you are going to use, and search for an SBC that executes instructions fast enough to keep up.

If you are going to be running the hard drive hardware, then you will have to get pretty lucky. That data may fall under proprietary IP of each manufacturer. You should be able to get a list of commands to position the heads and so on.

6. badwolf

Oct 26, 2008
    Thanks for the replies. I must say a lot of that has unfortunately gone over my head as i am very new to electronics and microcontrollers. If possible i would like to use a ready made board as my skills lie in programming rather than the electronic part of things.

I guess i need to do a lot of reading to get up to scratch still, but if you could roughly point out what sort of kit i would need to buy to create an interface to allow data to flow through a component with the ability to read the amount of bites i would be extremely grateful

Thanks for all your help

Regards

Jonathan

7. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    There is no point in selecting an SBC or microprocessor until you know what it will have to do. This link should give you a starting point.

8. badwolf

Oct 26, 2008
    Thanks for the advice and link, i know what i want to be able to do but the idea i have, has been a long work in progress and i am a bit dubious about posting it on the forums for all to see at the moment. I really appreciate your help and i will try to explain as best i can when i get any closer to understanding what i need to do

Regards

Jonathan

9. n9352527

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 14, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  10. badwolf

Oct 26, 2008
    Hi

Yeah that exactly what i am looking to develop, not for the same function but something enitrely different, I am very interested in the second link you posted showing the 2.5 inch version as i would like to create this for a mobile market.

I have bought a couple of books to read etc but if anyone has any further ideas on how to replicate the internals of those devices i would be grateful.

Thanks for all your help so far

11. n9352527

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 14, 2005
    I would think that the easiest way to implement those pods are using FPGAs instead of microprocessors/controllers. There are cores available for PATA and SATA interfaces and it would be relatively straightforward to tap into the data or insert commands, etc.

The standards are pretty well defined.