Microcontroller Question, video output

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by NickN, Jun 6, 2012.

1. NickN

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Hey, just had a question.

I want to take a high resolution camera (video) and output the video on a smaller LCD screen (not a computer monitor, something about the size of an iPhone screen) . Also I want to put a graphic overlay on top of the video that also outputs to the screen. Is this something that can be done with a micro controller or am i just wasting time? Essentially I want to make a right resolution video camera that has a graphic overlay. Any quick suggestions?

2. stoopkid

Mar 3, 2011
    Not a microconrtroller, but a beaglebone or something else ARM powered.

3. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Sure it can be done. What LCD screen are you planning on using?
    You can get MCU demo boards with LCD screens.
    You need to specify the LCD resolution the desire.

(ARM chip is still considered a microcontroller.)

4. NickN

Jun 6, 2012
    Because I'm very new to electronics in general i know this project is a bit (very) over my head. Ideally i would like to be able to write a program with it to change the cordinates of the origin that the video input has, and save it in multiple locations, that is why I asked about a microcontrollers because i know you can essentially write programs that it can run. Not sure if it should be in C/Pascal/BASIC. I would like to use a high resolution screen if possible, something like a Cannon Rebel camera replacement screen. Im sure that will come with its hassles of its own just hooking something like that up. Again I'm completely new to and i know this project is way above my capabilities, but it is something i want to strive for.

btw thank you guys for responding so fast the info is very helpful for a noob like me. also any recommendations on books to learn about micro microcontrollers?

5. GetDeviceInfo

Jun 7, 2009
    your talking aout a couple of different things, viewing multiple sources remotely and saving remotely, or ??

So far, you've described what a typical digital camera does. Depending o the model and it's platform, you can change the screen overlays, associate input to screen prompts, view remotely via USB, save onboard or remotely, again over USB.

What features are you looking for that a typical digital camera, or an app running on your Iphone won't do.

6. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
  7. NickN

Jun 6, 2012
    Yeah basically its a digital camera. No recording or picture taking, just live feed. I want the graphic overlay center to always stay at (0,0) of the camera screen (output device). I want to be able to move the background (video input) in any direction. Once at a set of coordinates, press a button to save its coordinates, then keep moving. Ideally pressing another button to return it to that saved set of coordinates.

Does this sound like something i could do with one of those Beaglebones?

How ambitious does all this sound, or is it doable if I'm learning electronics from scratch?

8. GetDeviceInfo

Jun 7, 2009
    My angle would be that this is not an electronics project per say, but an Android app development. If you can't use the device camera, bluetooth a remote.

9. NickN

Jun 6, 2012
    I would do a android app but i don't plan on running it on a phone.

10. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    You can buy all the electronics already done ( lots of good suggestions already made ) and then it's an exercise in programming. It's still very ambitionus, and you'll learn next to nothing about electronics.

11. NickN

Jun 6, 2012
    Would you have an example of some electronics that would allow this? Because i know next to nothing about programming other than some Java and C++. I'm trying to figure out the mechanical parts first.