Microcontroller for USB interfacing

rakeshkool27

Joined Jan 7, 2011
Hello friends, we are trying to do a project on laser data communication.We want to do the project via the USB port for high speed data transfer.So we need a microcontroller module for USB interfacing between the USB port and the transceiver module.We have found some names such as the Cypress AN2131, Philips PDIUSBD11A, Microchip PIC16765 but these will not give the desired speed i guess. So can you suggest some such microcontroller kit,or any other ideas.
Thanks

rakeshkool27

Joined Jan 7, 2011
Thanks MrChips for your suggestion and I am looking the specifications of it...well I don't have much idea about the different type of microcontrollers and its features so I wanted to know if the microcontroller you suggested can give me the required USB digital signals to feed it to the laser transmitter.

rakeshkool27

Joined Jan 7, 2011
Actually a transceiver module is what we are trying to build MrChips...whether such kind of transceiver module is readily available??

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
As long as you don't write the data rate it is all guesswork.

There are 3 different types of USB transfer.

Control mode which is the slowest,
bulk which is using the onchip RAM buffers,
and asynchronous, which may drop packets, but it highest speed.

Correct me if I do not write the right terms but I think it is like that.

Also there are USB 1.1, USB 2.0, and USB 3.0
There are not yet so many USB 3 controllers, I have not dealt with any myself.

rakeshkool27

Joined Jan 7, 2011
The data rate we want to be is to be atleast of the maximum of USB 2.0(which is around 12Mbps i guess), since USB 2.0 is readily available. Since USB is the most common mode of communication for data transfer, so we want to communicate through the USB.Do you have any other suggestions for data transfer through a different port??

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
If you are trying to communicate serially between a microcontroller and a device which you are going to design I would use SPI.

It is one thing to ask for the highest data rate possible. It is another thing to analyze exactly what data rate is desirable and attainable.

rakeshkool27

Joined Jan 7, 2011
I am assuming to transfer a file from a laptop to another with laser transceivers on each side.In that case,shouldn't we connect the microcontroller to the laptop using the USB port?? The microcontroller will act as the translator for interfacing the USB port with the transceiver module, isn't it? Maybe the SPI will come in between the microcontroller and the transceiver.I am still not an expert in these so correct me if I am wrong.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
That is what I suspected you meant but you did not say so.

Next thing to do is sit down and work out exactly what communication rate is required rather than asking for the best.