microcontroller for pressure loop

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by maijamedij, Jul 1, 2011.

1. maijamedij

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 1, 2011
    So basically what I want to do is stuff this in a hydralic pressure loop;

Just put in an A/D, (everything will be times to because i need to do it for two motors), do alot of fun stuff with that value, like for example autotuning it, and then send a new calculated value through a D/A on the other side to continue in the loop. (there is much more to this task but thats the main idea)
    Im pretty clear about what I need, A/Ds and D/As need to be able to read/produce +-10 V so those will probably have to be external ones, needs to work at minimum 3-5kHz, needs to perform pretty advanced calculations, 16 bit might be enough.. Will maybe want to add LCDs and buttons and stuff later so alot of I/O-ports would be nice..
    I just wanted to ask you guys for tips now. Prices, what kind of softwere and programming tools I need and so on, just making sure Im not buying a lot of stuff that turns out not being compatible and so on.. Doing this as a summerjob and am such a beginner at microcontrollers... Doing a pretty good job at covering that up at work so far..

2. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Have you worked with any micros before? This sounds like a major project so you should stick with something you are familiar with. If you are completely naive I would suggest looking at Microchip, excellent micro controllers, many pre-assembled development boards, free compilers.

You're getting paid for this and you want us to do the back end work?

3. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    In addition to checking into PIC, to be thorough you need to compare the PIC with AVR and then decide which one of the two best suites you applications.

hgmjr

4. maijamedij

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Barley getting paid for it, its more like an internshipish sort of thing. I've spent a month reading up on stuff before this. Been playing around with a demoboard from microchip as well but am still struggeling..