Microcontroller connected to WiFi with an IR blaster for wireless remote control.

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by mikeglee21, May 12, 2009.

1. mikeglee21

Thread Starter New Member

May 12, 2009
    I want to make a wireless IR blaster that takes commands over my Wi-Fi, and then sends IR blasts in my living room to control all my A/V equipment.
    I have never worked with micro controllers before, but a good friend of mine is in town this summer and I plan on picking his brain.
    What I want to know is a good micro controller (or even other product I haven't thought of) that can connect to my Wifi, plugs into the wall, and either has a port to allow the connection of an IR blaster, or can send info to another IR blaster such as:
    http://www.globalcache.com/products/gc-index.html
    I can't find any other IR blaster online that will connect to wifi, and I can't drop a cable, so that's out of the question.

I am also thinking that maybe bluetooth might be a more viable solution.
    I plan on doing some programming for the iphone to send info over bluetooth or wifi to the microcontroller (or whatever I finally decide on) and then send info to the IR blaster.

I am open to suggestions of any kind. And I could use your guys' help since I am a complete nub at this stuff. Thanks!