Microchip

Guinness1759

Joined Dec 10, 2010
Hi,
Apparently getting a hold of a sales engineer at microchip is extremely difficult right now so I'll ask a few questions here.

I'm looking at the PIC16F1823, is this the lowest powered PIC available?
What programming board do I need to program this?
Does it come with a C compiler?
Where can I find some example C code?

Sorry kind of a noob here to Microchip. I have never programmed a PIC device before.

Guinness1759

Joined Dec 10, 2010
What's the application? What are you powering it with?

PICkit2 or 3

Several C compilers exist, there are demo versions and lite versions galore.

The Microchip site has scads of example code.
This circuit is just providing some low frequency digital logic and I'll be using the on-board comparators as well. PICkit 3 Debug Express seems like it will do the job that I'm looking for.

What does the lite mode C compiler mean? Does it just limit the amount of lines you can use?

I was using freescale MCU's back in the day, and so far Microchip seems to be a much better company in terms of organization and ease of use.

Thanks for the help, you saved me from pulling my hair out. :D

edit. Seems like the PIC16F1824 consumes less power.

Last edited:

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I'd go with the PICkit 3 as well. I have a PICkit 2, but it's limited to the 8 to 14 pin MCU's. The PICkit 3 will program virtually all of Microchips' FLASH MCU's.

The "lite" C compiler doesn't optimize as much as the full version, and limits you as to the output code size. There are other options out there, such as B. Knutsens' CC5, Mikroelectronica, etc. See Microchips' resource pages for links.