Microchip programming

Cris909

Joined May 4, 2014
Hello,

I am working on a project and I'm trying to figure out how to program a microchip to send a frequency at 900mhz. Do I need to have a certain type of computer? Is there a certain program that I need ?
I was recommended the following site to go for a microchip..

https://www.sparkfun.com/pages/xbee_guide

I'm new to electronic projects so any advice will help..

Thank you,
CS

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Why do you need that frequency? What are you going to do with it?

It's unlikely that a microprocessor can generate that high a frequency. They operate at a magnitude of ten slower.

XBee is a radio frequency communications protocol. It uses dedicated transmitters/receivers to communicate.

Cris909

Joined May 4, 2014
Why do you need that frequency? What are you going to do with it?

It's unlikely that a microprocessor can generate that high a frequency. They operate at a magnitude of ten slower.

XBee is a radio frequency communications protocol. It uses dedicated transmitters/receivers to communicate.
Because from what I read the 900mhz will allow me to reach a transmission radius of 1,000ft, if you think there's a better way I'm open to suggestions..

What do you mean by dedicated transmitter/receiver? Is XBEE not the best way to go about this?

Thank you,
CS

Cris909

Joined May 4, 2014
I followed your link and found this user's guide:

https://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Wireless/Zigbee/XBee-900-Manual.pdf

My guess is it will tell you everything you need to know. You'll probably interface an inexpensive microcontroller with it using the UART interface. This is only for this particular chip, but is representative of what you'll end up doing.
Thank you I will read through it, what's the difference between an inexpensive interface and an expensive one? Aside from the price of course

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Because from what I read the 900mhz will allow me to reach a transmission radius of 1,000ft, if you think there's a better way I'm open to suggestions..

What do you mean by dedicated transmitter/receiver? Is XBEE not the best way to go about this?

Thank you,
CS
For communications, the microprocessor (what you program) will talk to a transceiver, like the XBee. You don't program generating the 900mHz signal. That is done in hardware, like the XBee.

I'm just trying to clarify what is done in the microprocessor versus what is done in the XBee.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Thank you I will read through it, what's the difference between an inexpensive interface and an expensive one? Aside from the price of course
I said "inexpensive microcontroller." This day and age, there's not reason to spend more than a few bucks for a full-function microcontroller, making for a very cost effective solution to most communication requirements.