microchip are loving it

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by bluebrakes, Jan 31, 2010.

1. bluebrakes

Thread Starter Active Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Unless i've got the wrong end of the stick here but microchip must be loving the fact that when people refer to microprocessors or fancy integrated circuits, they wrongly refer to them as microchips.

microchip being the manufacturer.

What do you guys think?:D
  2. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    In the same vein: my associates refer to the generic micro-controller as a PIC!
  3. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    In my country the word PIC is pronounced in the same way as very common name for a very male specific body part. This has caused some giggling in the years like this as an example. people I got a new PIC here, look how small it is.
    But yes we like the Microchip uCs here to ;)
  4. SgtWookie

Jul 17, 2007
    I frequently use the abbreviations of uC or MCU; both meaning "microcontroller unit" - but don't go quite so far as to suggest that a Microchip PIC is the only uC brand available. There are perhaps 20 or so big players in the uC industry.

Microchip may not like the fact that people are starting to refer to uC's generically as "microchips" or PICs. When such trademark names start to change the language, they fall into the "common use" category and they could lose it as a trademark.

This nearly happened to Xerox Corporation when people started saying "Make a Xerox of that..." instead of "Make a copy of that..."
  5. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    And the worst offense is to use it as a verb, like, "go xerox it."

It is a complement, but can play havoc with trademark.

6. Razor Concepts

Oct 7, 2008
    We don't search, we google :)
  7. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    It could also benefit them in the long run, if people keep referring to them as microchips, and newbies go and google that, guess where they end up :rolleyes:....

here is what wikipedia says :