micro controller

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by mache123, Nov 9, 2008.

1. mache123

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    can anyone tell me where do i get micr controller basics information.....(like introduction, family,applications,advance products and information on it) and also micro processor
  2. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008

Your list of "basics" seems inconsistent with the meaning of basics.

From what I have read and from personal experience, I suggest:
    1) Pick a common microcontroller. Atmel (AVR) or Microchip (PIC) doesn't matter as much as simply picking one to begin with. There are probably more tutorials and code examples for the PIC controllers.

2) Pick a tutorial for the chip you chose. I made the mistake of trying to follow three different tutorials. They all reached the same endpoint, but the slight differences in approach was confusing. The three were: Elmer 160; mstracey (http://www.mstracey.btinternet.co.uk/); and Nigel Goodwin's (http://www.winpicprog.co.uk). I liked the latter two and eventually relied on mstracey at the very outset. The only programming experience I had was Basic about 20 years before. Nigel seems to assume a little more familiarity than I had. For example, he introduces the $ symbol/instruction without describing it. With a little more perspective, now when I look at his tutorials, I can see they are excellent.
    3) Do not start with the 16F84, unless you have to.
    4) For PIC, start with Assembler language.
    5) Enjoy the thrill of seeing an actual program run. Then build on it.

Good luck. John
  3. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    Why do you suggest him to start with assembly language?
  4. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    The 16F628 has 35 single word instructions. I found them easily understood in the context of simple mathematical operations (e.g, add, subtract, increase, decrease, skip if zero, etc.). I could write a flowchart, convert the logical steps to math, and program. Formating rules for the program were almost intuitive and easy to learn as well.

Many tutorials for beginners use assembly language because it "leads to better understanding of how the processor works." I don't have first hand knowledge with which to support that assertion compared to other programming languages, but it does seem logical to me.

I did not need to learn C. Of course, if I had known C starting out, then that might have been my preferred language.

The compiler/assembler for assembly came with the programmer I used. I did not need to buy a C compiler.

Finally, the tutorials I had were in assembly.

5. avinash_g

Nov 4, 2008