micocontroller...................help needed!

mdew_47

Joined Mar 1, 2008
could anyone make me understand the advent of single chip microcomputer(microcontroller) from large scale computer?(20 marks)

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
In my opinion, large computers of the time including the IBM 7094 and system 360, had nothing whatever to do with the development of the single chip microcontroller.

Desktop and handheld calculators were clearly the greater influence. Lesser known to consumers was the advent of the data entry terminal which replaced the Model 26 and Model 29 keypunch.

Who is feeding you these fairy tales anyway? Some young professor who was born after the fact I suppose.

mdew_47

Joined Mar 1, 2008
what i have got in one book is:

Microcontroller: A highly integrated chip that contains all the components
comprising a controller.
• Typically this includes a CPU, RAM, some form of ROM, I/O ports, and timers.
• Unlike a general-purpose computer, which also includes all of these components,
a microcontroller is designed for a very specific task - to control a particular
system.
• A microcontroller differs from a microprocessor, which is a general-purpose chip
that is used to create a multi-function computer or device and requires multiple
chips to handle various tasks.
• A microcontroller is meant to be more self-contained and independent, and
functions as a tiny, dedicated computer.
• The great advantage of microcontrollers, as opposed to using larger
microprocessors, is that the parts-count and design costs of the item being
controlled can be kept to a minimum.
• They are typically designed using CMOS (complementary metal oxide
semiconductor) technology, an efficient fabrication technique that uses less power
and is more immune to power spikes than other techniques.
• Microcontrollers are sometimes called embedded microcontrollers, which just
means that they are part of an embedded system that is, one part of a larger device
or system.

will it do?

and yes the prof. is young, but still the question comes in our university exam paper!

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
It may be that you are dealing with a different emphasis on the history of electronics. My understanding is that the military provided the funds and impetus for the development of the integrated circuit. The issue was reliability. Vacuum tubes are prone to failure and don't respond well to mechanical shock.

There are parallel and not well integrated histories of military and civilian interest and development of computers. So far, each essentially ignores the other. While I was in the service, I saw discreet transistors in just about all computer equipment. RTL and DTL were it. TTL was so exotic in 1970 that we would buy floor sweepings in hopes to get a quad AND gate with three sections still working. Mike Quinn's in Oakland sold transistors by the pound, and core memory by the square inch.

Smaller and faster was always the goal. I had a friend who was having to hand select TTL chips in the early 1970's for the Minuteman missile computer. They had to run at 40 MHz, double the spec. At that, all the "computer" could do was track a guide star for navigation. Even though the Intel 4004 wasn't much more than a calculator, it was an enormous advance over all discreet TTL computers.

That is one path followed.