Mic level to speaker level (High Level)

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Josue Michel Savoie, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Josue Michel Savoie

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 15, 2015
    I am working on a Light Organ circuit designed to take Speaker level. I would like it to take Mic level. I was thinking a Transformer would do the trick. Any help or suggestions is appreciated. I would like something designed into the circuit itself rather than something external.

2. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Welcome to AAC.
    You can use a Mic preamp to increase the input to a speaker level.
    Then again anything designed to take a speaker level input will have a resistor divider network on the input to reduce the speaker level to a safe preamp level

3. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

Show us the circuit of the light organ.
    Perhaps there can be things adapted to accept lower levels.

Bertus

4. Søren

Sep 2, 2006
    Your subject line seems to ask the opposite of what you want!?

Transformers are the classic way of doing it when hardwired, but I never liked that approach, as it interferes with the sound.
    If you want stuff designed into your circuit, you sort of have to post your circuit ;)

My best suggestion is to use a mic as input device, that way you get the light to react to people clapping/stomping as well - makes for a more inclusive approach (I'm assuming you're gonna use it for parties and such).
    [​IMG]
    If you only want the sound itself to manipulate the light, a line level feed from your amplifier would still be better than tampering with the speaker signal. Add a voltage divider if needed.

5. Josue Michel Savoie

Apr 15, 2015
    It reads to me as exactly what I want, my signal is at Mic Level, the Circuit wants to see Speaker level,

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    So...connect it to the speakers. :confused:

7. Josue Michel Savoie

Apr 15, 2015
    There are no speakers

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Then you need an amplifier.
    Or you can tell us about the circuit and we can modify it (as other people already said).
    The poster for a Yoga class doesn't really amplify your information.

9. Josue Michel Savoie

Apr 15, 2015
    A step up Transformer is what I am looking to do most likely

Yes as I said before I am trying to avoid an external amplifier

Seren already gave me the info I need actually!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2015

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I don't think that's going to work. You need about 100 to 1 voltage gain. A milliwatt transformer trying to drive an input that is expected to see an 8 ohm driver...I can't find one.

11. Søren

Sep 2, 2006
    I don't think so!
    I read your post as if you wanted to do a classic (seventies) hookup from speaker output to the light organ, which typically needs lower input amplitudes.
    My bad for reading you wrong!

You may be able to use a microphone transformer, they are very expensive (although a low quality type may be found - don't ask me where though), but this is probably a very kludgy way of doing it.

You have been asked a couple of times to post a schematic, I'll ask as well and if your hesitance to do so is that you don't have it, at least supply as much info about it as you have, like make/model and some focused photos of it's circuit.

It's quite likely that what you have could be changed to take mic level, as there's likely a simple voltage divider (or even a transformer), in your existing input stage.

12. izon

Mar 17, 2013
  13. izon

Mar 17, 2013
    Sorry about reference to power amp on bottom of page, didn't realize different stuff shows up each time page loads. They do have 1 or 2 watt and larger small board power amps if you check it out...

14. Odiesdad

Aug 7, 2015
    Mike preamps do not drive to speaker level. . .

15. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    It's mic not "Mike" ..