Metal Detector Circuit

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by ro169, Sep 18, 2016.

1. ro169

Thread Starter Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Hi all.

Been working on a metal detector project. I've come across quite a few schematics online.
    I've tried to replicate the MKII by Talking Electronics: http://www.talkingelectronics.com/projects/MetalDetectorMkII/MetalDetectorMkII.html
    Here is the Schematic:
    MetalDetectorMkIICct.jpg
    However I have changed a few things due to availability and the circuit doesn't perform as expected.
    I have used 1.25mm gauge fluxed wire forming 100mm diameter coils (According to the site the size of wire or coil isn't important)
    I have replaced one of the BC547 transistors with a BC237
    In place of "390R" surface mount I have used a 330R
    When switched on I have observed the speaker voltage to be a constant 2.6V despite the position of the coils relative to each other or the position of the dial on the potentiometer - i.e no tone is produced on the speaker.

Any input will be appreciated :)

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

Did you read the "setting up" part?
    Bertus

ro169 likes this.
  3. ro169

Thread Starter Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Yes I have.

4. AlbertHall

Jun 4, 2014
    Use the two BC547 transistors that you have as the two leftmost transistors in the schematic as they are the most critical. Use the BC237 as the third transistor in the schematic.

5. ro169

Thread Starter Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Yes this was my thinking as well! I did do this :). Do you think that using a BC237 could be the problem? I will try using a BC547 as soon as I get my hands on another.

One of my concerns is the 390R surface mount.
    390R.jpg
    I'm not sure exactly how the resistor "adjusts for the type of wire and coil-size".
    However I've assumed that this is a standard resistor and not something unique and used the 330R in place of it as the site states that its purpose is to help you customize and build your own projects using the blocks in this 1.

6. AlbertHall

Jun 4, 2014
    It is pretty good equivalent to the '547 so I don't think it would be a problem in the rest of the circuit.

Check the diodes are the right way round and that the LED lights.

7. ro169

Thread Starter Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Yes. Diodes are the right way around.

LED lights up indicating there is power on the board.

8. Sensacell

Jun 19, 2012
    This circuit looks very simple, making it attractive to a beginner, but it's actually very tricky to get it working.
    More complex circuits are actually easier to troubleshoot.