Merging Data

SpacecowboyMat

Joined May 14, 2015
Hello everyone. I'm new to this site and thought I'd give it a try. Does anyone have any idea on how to merge data using a circuit or hardware components? Think of the challenge as mixing 2 streams of "water" together with circuit components. Order is not relevant at this juncture.

Any ideas?

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Hello everyone. I'm new to this site and thought I'd give it a try. Does anyone have any idea on how to merge data using a circuit or hardware components? Think of the challenge as mixing 2 streams of "water" together with circuit components. Order is not relevant at this juncture.

Any ideas?
You are going to have to get a **LOT** more specific about what you mean by "merging data" if you expect any real help; as it is, your question is so vague, so ambiguous, as to be completely meaningless.

We're not mind-readers here, you know...

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Love your Wolowitz reference. Just a stream of binary code. Is there any way to merge it with a second stream of binary code using hardware, rather than software?
You have repeated the same question without clarifying what you mean.
Why would anyone want to do such a thing?

The answer is yes, it is possible.
How to do it depends on what you are attempting to do.

The devil is in the details.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Love your Wolowitz reference. Just a stream of binary code. Is there any way to merge it with a second stream of binary code using hardware, rather than software?
Asked and answered. Several times.

If you want to interleave them, use a multiplexer or tri-state outputs. If you want to overlay them such that one can dominate the other, use an OR gate (the HI signal dominates), an AND gate (the LO signal dominates),

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
You need to unpick the software and analyse exactly what it does - then study boolean algebra till you can figure out how to make the same functionality with a mess of logic gates.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Don't bother with those naysayers who said "crossing the streams is a very bad thing." I often mix two discrete data streams with a little extra virgin olive oil and some fresh garlic to use as a salad dressing.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Asked and answered. Several times.

If you want to interleave them, use a multiplexer or tri-state outputs. If you want to overlay them such that one can dominate the other, use an OR gate (the HI signal dominates), an AND gate (the LO signal dominates),
XOR gates are more fun - one data stream alternates whether the other gets inverted or not.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Yes, XOR gates are definitely more fun -- in so many ways. I don't know that I would say it is merging two data streams, even though, technically, that is exactly what it is doing. I think in terms of being able to separate the data streams at the other end. But when I think about it, the same type of protocol that you would need to use and OR or AND gate to achieve transmission would work for an XOR gate, too. So I'm game.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Yes, XOR gates are definitely more fun -- in so many ways. I don't know that I would say it is merging two data streams, even though, technically, that is exactly what it is doing. I think in terms of being able to separate the data streams at the other end. But when I think about it, the same type of protocol that you would need to use and OR or AND gate to achieve transmission would work for an XOR gate, too. So I'm game.
You'd have to start by figuring out which data stream was alternately inverting the other.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Years ago, I read of a concept of mixing multiple data streams via encryption of each with PRNG data streams, each PRNG stream uncorrelated with the others. The streams each become simple white noise, and are summed.

Supposedly, each individual stream can be picked out of the noise by recombining with the original PRNG stream for that channel.

The concept was supposed to provide extremely high data rate vs. BW. I don't know if anything ever came of it. Obviously, OFDM seems to have captured this space.