Memory Laptop Problem

JDR04

Joined May 5, 2011
I have a HP G7000 laptop.

If I remove one of the memory cards(bank 2) it works, however when I replaced it with a brand new one from Crucial, it would not boot up. I took the new card out and presto, it works again.

Before, it was simply crashing and showing a blue screen with lots of data on it which I did not understand at all.

Does anybody out there have an idea as to what has gone wrong and if I can fix it at all.(I have very limited know how of computers)

I'm running Windows VISTA.
Thanks a lot---------JDR04

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Is the new module the same as the old one? The specs must match. In particular, the speed must match. This article tells how to use the utility CPU-Z to check the speed of the existing/working module. You've given us the laptop model; how about the model of the memory module from Crucial?

JDR04

Joined May 5, 2011
Is the new module the same as the old one? The specs must match. In particular, the speed must match. This article tells how to use the utility CPU-Z to check the speed of the existing/working module. You've given us the laptop model; how about the model of the memory module from Crucial?
Thanks for that. I've prepered this image of the original memory (Lynx) and the new memory from (CRUCIAL).

I used their scanning application to check the laptop and they recommended what I bought. If you guys can see something wrong I would apprecite any advice. Thanks a lot...John

Attachments

pwdixon

Joined Oct 11, 2012
Have you tried replacing the original with the new part and leaving the original part out just to see if the new part works at all?
If it does you might find it will work if you leave the new part in the original position and add the original part in the expansion position.

JDR04

Joined May 5, 2011
Have you tried replacing the original with the new part and leaving the original part out just to see if the new part works at all?
If it does you might find it will work if you leave the new part in the original position and add the original part in the expansion position.
Thanks pwdixon. The laptop works with the original memory in slot 1. But slot 2 must be empty. If I insert the original memory card into slot 2 as well the laptop tries to boot up but suddenly stops and the screen is black.

If I remove the original memory card from slot 2, the laptop works.
If I insert the original memory card from slot 1 into slot two and leave slot 1 empty........laptop tries to boot up but suddenly stops, black screen.

If I insert NEW CRUCIAL memory card into slot 1, leave slot 2 empty, laptop works.
If I insert NEW CRUCIAL memory in slot 2, laptop tries to boot up but suddenly stops with a black screen.

Any ideas anybody???

JDR04

Joined May 5, 2011
Hello,

Does the laptop have 2 of the hynix modules?
Amazon sells pairs of 2:
http://www.amazon.com/Hynix-HYMP512S64CP8-Y5-SO-DIMM-Memory-MacBook/dp/B000SSMQD8

Bertus
Thanks Bertus. I'm a bit reluctant to buy more modules untill I know its definately a memory module problem. I've already bought a single Cricial memory module.

I've also noticed that if I insert the original memory module into slot 2, the laptop tries to boot up but suddenly stops with a black screen. I can feel the fan is working etc.

JDR04

Joined May 5, 2011
Yep, tried that. Have just found a memory test in the bios setup, going to try it with both memory modules in and see what happens??
That didnt work either as I cannot get the laptop to boot up properly if a memory card is in slot 2????

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I checked and the specs do seem to match. HP recommends that the memory modules match in size, speed and manufacturer.

CAUTION: Due to the variety of possible configurations, some motherboards might not be able to properly configure memory if the array of small outline dual in-line memory modules (SO-DIMMs) contains a SO-DIMM that is not from the same manufacturer, has a different CAS latency value, or has a different density value (high and low used together). Make sure all SO-DIMMs have the same part number, are from the same manufacturer, and meet the basic memory requirements for your motherboard. If not, make sure that you can return the memory if it is not recognized by the system after you install the new memory.

Last edited:

JDR04

Joined May 5, 2011
I checked and the specs do seem to match. HP recommends that the memory modules match in size, speed and manufacturer.
I'm beginning to think its something else besides the meory card. The new one,Crucial works fine in slot 1 but not slot 2. The original memory will work in slot 1 but not slot 2. The laptop simply stops booting up as soon as there is a memory card in slot 2, even if it works in slot 1.

Any ideas??

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Memory usually has to be replaced in pairs. It's not clear, but it appears you've tested slot 2 with nothing in slot 1. This WON'T WORK, PERIOD.

Secondly, I've NEVER mixed modules from different manufacturers. As far as I'm concerned, IT WON'T WORK.

If anyone has proof otherwise, I'll gladly read it.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
From your picture the Hynix and the Crucial have different numbers of chips on board.

1GB memory can be arranged in different ways and the motherboard memory manager may not be able to address both arrangements simultaneously.

I can't look up those modules for a couple of days, perhaps someone else can do that sooner?

Fantasi, I've fitted Crucial as a second module to many computers, both desktop and laptop without a problem, so long as the address arrangement matches.
Latency is unlikely to be the difficulty, it just defaults to the worst value, although it may be settable in BIOS.
I'd agree that matching pairs are better however.

Last edited:

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
From your picture the Hynix and the Crucial have different numbers of chips on board.

1GB memory can be arranged in different ways and the motherboard memory manager may not be able to address both arrangements simultaneously.

I can't look up those modules for a couple of days, perhaps someone else can do that sooner?

Fantasi, I've fitted Crucial as a second module to many computers, both desktop and laptop without a problem, so long as the address arrangement matches.
Latency is unlikely to be the difficulty, it just defaults to the worst value, although it may be settable in BIOS.
I'd agree that matching pairs are better however.
You've had better luck than I. After several failures and a couple of successes after many hours of trial and error, my company went with a same module/ same manufacturer rule.

Nonetheless, leaving slot 1 empty is a no-no.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Memory usually has to be replaced in pairs. It's not clear, but it appears you've tested slot 2 with nothing in slot 1. This WON'T WORK, PERIOD.

Secondly, I've NEVER mixed modules from different manufacturers. As far as I'm concerned, IT WON'T WORK.

If anyone has proof otherwise, I'll gladly read it.
I bought a second 1GB module for my netbook, different manufacturer, no issues.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Talk to Crucial first.

Ask them about memory organisation.

It's possible they sent the wrong module, I've seen this too.