MELF metal electrode face diodes and resistors used for?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by harrison2015, Apr 29, 2015.

1. harrison2015

Thread Starter Member

Apr 22, 2015
    What are MELF metal electrode face diodes and resistors used for? I see MELF diodes used in SMD/SMT circuit boards mostly in the power supply but why use MELF diodes and resistors.

2. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    to solder to. surface mount parts have no leads, just metal faces to flow solder to boards.

3. harrison2015

Thread Starter Member

Apr 22, 2015
    From the datasheets of MELF diodes and resistors, is there any thing different about them than normal resistors and diodes?

Anything special about MELF components

4. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    The ones I encountered that were described as MELF, were in a range of Thorn Consumer CTVs.

The parts on the board were actually regular round bodied components with very short stub leads pressed into "mushrooms" at the ends - its hard to put into words, but think of the head of a chisel that's been used a lot. These parts are placed and soldered just like regular SMD parts, but originally came off the same production line as regular leaded components.

AFAIK: MELF is a distinctly separate sub-family of SMD parts than the most common type you usually see.

5. Brainbox

Nov 15, 2010
    Melf resistors are more stable and more resistant to mechanical stress.
    Often You can find them in high reliable industrial stuff.

6. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    I hate MELF. They roll off the pads when you try to solder them by hand.

And the glass MELF diodes slip out of the tweezers.

JWHassler likes this.
  7. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Doncha just love the way they pop out of the tweezers and disappear across the room at 90+ MPH.

8. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    No. I. Don't.

In fact, I believe the MELF package was developed by Satan himself -- just to give you an idea what Hell will be like.

9. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011

10. harrison2015

Thread Starter Member

Apr 22, 2015
    But I always see the MELF diodes and MELF resistors in the power supply sections of of SMT/SMD circuit boards. The MELF must have a higher wattage rating?

11. dl324

Distinguished Member

Mar 30, 2015
    Probably not. MELF diodes look a lot like their leaded counterpart, most heat for a D02 diode is radiated from the leads, since MELF has no leads they radiate heat from the endcaps. Read earlier in this thread and elsewhere that they're higher reliability than typical SMT parts.

12. harrison2015

Thread Starter Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Why do they have a higher reliability than SMT parts? I don't get it

13. snav

Aug 1, 2011
    Looking for items recently I found these, so they are fairly versatile.

14. SamEricson

Apr 25, 2015
    MELF components are more stable with temperature, that is why they are used in smd smt power supply circuit boards. 5pp is really good for temperature in power supplies.

15. Brainbox

Nov 15, 2010
    For the diodes: Glass is more stable and the springformed lead absorbs thermal stress.
    For resistors: the metal caps are not a part of the resistor body itself and can relief stress from expansion when the body heats up.

16. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    I'd go along with the glass bit.

Of the old germanium devices, more glass encapsulated types have survived to this day than metal ones. Although some metal types have suffered internal shorts from tin whiskers - which probably isn't what's meant by "stability".

In those days, the epoxy encapsulations available then weren't good enough for germanium.

KJ6EAD likes this.