1. electricalfresher

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 10, 2011
    i actually wanted to suggest a modification in the topic "megommeter. I found the cross-sectional diagram pretty difficult to figure out .. n i had to access other material to do so. i found the diagram in this particular book to be very clear. page no. 86 in

(Web-link removed due to its pointing to copyrighted material)

i used the explanation from allaboutcircuits, along with the diagram in the above link.. i think it will help out many more students like me to get the basic concepts clear. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2011
  2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Welcome to AAC.

There are several issues with your posts.

You did not post where the problem is with the AAC book. It is a very large book, unless I or someone else happens to know where you are talking about it isn't practical to search the entire text book.

You did not post the specific problem you had with the AAC book. If the book is correct then it isn't likely to be modified.

The link you gave has a clear copyright notice. There are no permissions for this work to be released shown. This site is very clear about supporting copyrights, and we can't condone violations. This is for both legal and ethical reasons.

The first two objections can be fixed easily by you. The 3rd can't. I'm not sure how the moderator will handle this, but it will be addressed.

3. debjit625

Apr 17, 2010
    Anyway, if anybody wants to know which book the OP is talking about,its
    "Electrical Power Systems Technology" Third Edition by Stephen W. Fardo and Dale R. Patrick.​

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Good thought. There is nothing wrong with announcing the title, authors, and publisher. If is possible there is a site before the PDF file that gives authorization (maybe not, I've seen similar occurrences before) that could have been used.

If the OP post the links to the AAC book and states the problems he has with it we can continue the thread.

5. debjit625

Apr 17, 2010
    Yes the site is from IIT i.e.. Indian Institute of Technology Bombay(now Mumbai),the book was uploaded by some student in his/her own folder, which the site has nothing to do with (may be they have authorization for that book in the collage).

OP's link : http://www.ee.iitb.ac.in/

Official site of IIT Bombay : http://www.iitb.ac.in/

6. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
  7. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Unfortunately India is not known for playing by the rules. Just because they put it up doesn't mean it is either legal or right. The author's deserve to get paid for their efforts, writing a book like that is extremely hard work, and time consuming. Now these yahoos are giving it away.

8. debjit625

Apr 17, 2010

If you search for e-books torrents or many softwares ,you will find many of the seeds are from USA,that doesn't means USA is playing by the rules.

A student have uploaded that in his/her server space,IIT can't just look after each and every files that is in their server, if anybody have any problem they should complain about it to the admin.Anyway I think the book will not do too much for IIT students or any Indian EE student,as its just an overview over electrical power systems and that is using American standards, many of the thing will be different in Indian standard and many other countries. Of course the book gives a lot of valuable information and very good if anybody wants to understand American electrical power systems.

I totally agree with that.

9. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    We have had outraged students from India coming to this site claiming their professors claim to have written the AAC book. I don't know this is true, but I suspect it is.

If the US sites are discovered there could be some interesting litigation. Wonder if the Indian government would enforce these laws, or even recognize them?

10. debjit625

Apr 17, 2010
    Get me one post,or may be sombody have done it.I don't think any EE student would do that atleast he/she will be old enough to understand these things,may be some kid had fun posting that and you concluded your result in your own way.

Anyway,as its a place for feedback and suggestions, I will not go any further as this argument will never end.

11. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008

All you have to do is a base search in this forum. It wasn't deleted. I put the approximate date around 2009 or later. Truth, I don't care if you believe me, it happened.

I guess we have established your country of origin... :D

OK, I was off about a year, it was almost a year earlier than I remembered, and two months after I joined this site...

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=11023

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  12. electricalfresher

Aug 10, 2011
    yes, i do understand there are issues with copyright n stuff .. n the material u've given here is 100% correct .. but the issue was with me not able to understand, ofcourse :) .. anyways, thot i cud voice my opinion here :)

13. electricalfresher

Aug 10, 2011
    btw, the megohmmeter can be found on page 271, labelled "Megger Movement" in chapter 8.7, Vol-1 DC.

14. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  15. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    You can always voice your opinion, but this particular forum is pretty restricted, and is stated in the top of the page when you enter this particular forum.

This still leaves a lot of leeway for discussions. For example, if you thought (or think) a section is not clear this would be the place to bring it up. Beginners often see things the experienced folks don't, because it is already obvious to us.

For general discussions the electronic chat forum or project forum (not the completed project forum) would be the place to go, but even there it has to be about electronics. For general discussion we have the off topic forums.

Every site has to have rules, these are few of ours. It is keep our site somewhat orderly.