Medical scams

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by #12, Jun 1, 2014.

Thread Starter Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    wayneh brought up an idea I'd like the moderators to consider. A thread about colloidal silver production. As an unsafe, ineffective, "medical" treatment, I think the forum should contemplate banning the subject.

Number Twelve

Edit: Gopher said he thought muscle stimulation circuits should be included in this prejudice against medical quackery circuits and I want to say I disagree because muscle stimulation machines are effective. Suddenly, the colloidal silver thread disappeared while I was typing.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
    Metalmann likes this.
  2. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    You wield more power then you even know.

#12 likes this.
  3. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    I do not think we will ban the subject, rather than judge case by case.

We folks around here aren't experts in medical things, only in electrical. As you noticed, there's already a disagreement between you and GopherT on muscle stimulation, which goes to show that it's not trivial knowledge.

#12 likes this.
  4. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

The MODS can always fall back on this part of the ToS:

As said, we will judge it case by case.

Bertus

#12 likes this.
  5. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    I've been away for awhile, but this subject grabbed my attention since I was a practicing physician (pathologist) for more than 35 years. I am glad the moderators are considering it.

There are two issue that come to mind:
    1) Is it a scam (e.g., colloidal silver); and
    2) If it's not a scam, is a DIY effort appropriate.

First, let there be no confusion. This and other sites have plenty of legitimate experts in medical instrumentation. Ken Moffett, as just one example, comes to mine. I see no problem with someone who wants to build an ECG circuit and benefits from his advice. The members here can give as good advice as anyone. The issue that needs to be addressed is when a poster moves from measuring to intervention.

Second, I think anything that is a well known scam needs to be censored. But what if it is not a scam, such as iontophorisis for excessive sweating of the hands and feet? That thread, if this is the correct forum, really got me worrying. What is the risk/benefit compared to, say, automotive subjects? I have seen a patient arrest from a simple throat examination and require an emergency tracheostomy.

Third, self-medication, treatment, or diagnosis of self or family members always carries a risk, even when physicians practice it. Is someone who wants to help his grandmother on the cheap a better risk?

My suggestions are:

1) If it is a scam, censor/ban it. There is no chance of benefit and always a finite chance of harm.

2) I am OK with diagnostic devices, such as EKG's, so long as they are not invasive and do not delay being properly diagnosed. That is, they are primarily for the amusement of the poster.

3) Any diagnostic device that requires percutaneous access (e.g., muscle electrodes) or other invasive procedures -- even swallowed devices -- should banned.

4) Anything for treatment of a third person should be banned.

5) If it is self treatment, put it under a microscope. Be very leery of the dangers. Consider whether helping the poster is likely to produce less harm than not helping him. The bias should be "prove it is safe" rather than "make it work." As examples, someone who is building flashing LED's for neural stimulation device for himself might get through. Someone building an iontophoresis machine probably wouldn't in my opinion.

In summary, diagnosis is OK if not invasive. Treatments are generally not OK unless the moderators can be convinced they are solely for self and have negligible risk to the individual and others. Remember at all times that risk results from both actions and inactions. Will a person's attempts at self treatment result in his failure to get timely appropriate treatment?

Regards,

John

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
    #12 likes this.
  6. Metalmann

Dec 8, 2012
    I'll back up #12 on TENS units, and also Chiropractic.

Chiropractors, kept me working the last 10+ years before retirement.

Old spinal injuries, can be helped with both.
    Just depends on the location and type of injury.;)

#12 likes this.
  7. Metalmann

Dec 8, 2012
  8. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    If a bottle costs 100 dollar and contains little next to nothing, it is almost for sure a scam.

9. paulktreg

Distinguished Member

Jun 2, 2008
    There are too many banned subjects on this forum don't you think. It's almost an advertisement for ETO at times.

So......why not add another, good idea!

Why can't some sort of website policy be put together that distances the site (or owners) from any responsibility of harm resulting from anything posted?

Metalmann likes this.
  10. Metalmann

Dec 8, 2012

Yes, other forums do just that.

If you warn folks in advance.....

Thread Starter Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    A D.O. changed me from 2-3 days a month of not being able to walk to 2-3 days a YEAR that I can't walk. He did this by "popping" my back, but after 25 years on crutches, my upper body muscles are so strong that he had to disable them to get my bones back in place. I.V. Valium would work, but a TENs machine is effective, non-invasive, and much less risky.

Metalmann likes this.
  12. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    First of all, in the USA this is impossible.

Second, we are not ETO. Each site has its own style.

Third, there are plenty of other sites for all tastes.

jpanhalt likes this.
  13. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    Thanks for the lengthy exposition, jpanhalt. Your reasoning sounds sensible. I admit that I don't know much of the foreign terminology on medical topics (I'm ok with the Greek parts though ;) ), so sometimes I don't catch what a poster is talking about with a glance.

jpanhalt likes this.