mechanically coupled DC motors

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by dmta, Mar 27, 2013.

1. dmta

Thread Starter Member

Mar 24, 2013
    Hi all,

I am building a DC motor control demonstration pannel. Apart from controlling the speed I also want to simulate a load acting on the DC motor. Hence I thought of coupling another DC motor to the existing one and rotating it in the opposite direction Just like in the figure.

If we say that motor A is the motor to be controlled (clockwise) and B is the torque generator, even though B is given power to rotate anti clockwise it will always be rotating in the opposite direction because of A. This will cause B to heat up and I fear that it would get burnt.

The goal is to somehow dissipate the current generated by B. can you all help me.

BTW both motors will be driven by H-bridges and both will have speed measuring ability.

Thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• mo.JPG
      mo.JPG
      File size:
      8.8 KB
      Views:
  2. timescope

Dec 14, 2011
    You would need a fluid or friction type of coupling to mechanically couple two shafts rotating in opposite directions

A better idea would be to use motor B as a generator and vary the load on it.

Timescope

shortbus likes this.
  3. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    A pot/rheostat between the brushes of motor B would also work. Many motor braking systems use this.

4. dmta

Thread Starter Member

Mar 24, 2013
    Hi every one !!!!!

I am VERY SORRY for this late reply.

Even though I asked this question a while back I am trying to implement it just now and I have a problem with selecting the motors.

Should I chose same motors for A and B or are there other factors that I have to weigh in?
    Also, should I choose high power motors to get practical load resistor values?

Thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: May 31, 2013