mechanical storage of electrical energy

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by sunil.dakuri, Feb 9, 2011.

1. sunil.dakuri

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Hi i am doing project on mechanical storage of electrical energy using windup technique , just i wand to generate the energy mechanically and i want to store it. so i am not clear about this so please help me doing this

thanks nd regards
    sunil

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

I found your post at the end of an exisiting thread.

Now you have a thread of your own.

Bertus

3. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    Windup as in high RPM flywheel, or winiding up a spring like in a toy car?

4. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    Mechanical storage by kinetic energy:
    Ken

5. GetDeviceInfo

Jun 7, 2009
    where do they get the power to pump water uphill? You'd think it would be sooo much better to close down the spill gate.

6. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    You pump to the higher elevation when there is excess energy available above energy demand, such as wind power at night. Only usable in specific areas, but it is a mechanical storage of electrical energy.

Ken

7. Adjuster

Dec 26, 2010
    Presumably the pumped flow rates in the storage system are much greater than any spillage over the sluices.

That said, the OP is more likely to be thinking about something like a Baygen clockwork power supply. It might be worth pointing out that this kind of thing has very limited capacity. It may be useful for low powered uses where energy is very scarce, such as the original application to radios in a Third World setting, but for higher drain uses a spring energy store would be too bulky and heavy. So far, no-one seems to have proposed using clockwork as a replacement for the internal combustion engine!

8. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    If you need to ask that question you are doing nothing. Just trying to start.

What have you tried so far? You want full service? A group working out your project?

Ridiculous.

9. cumesoftware

Apr 27, 2007
    There is no need for you to be like that. Not all members are aware of how this forum works. Especially new members!

These kind of attitudes are prejudicial to this forum.

10. jgessling

Jul 31, 2009
    Out here in California we have a massive pumped storage facility, San Luis Reservoir, where off hour electricity is used to pump water uphill to a dam that can release it later through generators to create power when needed.

But to your problem, the basic answer seems to be to elevate a weight to a higher point to release later. I'm thinking like winding up a string and then releasing it to turn a generator. That said there's a million details to fill in. Please let us know whatever information you can provide.

11. sunil.dakuri

Feb 9, 2011
    Thanks for u r reply

my project methodology was with the help of manual windup technology (spring technology like a windup torch) i want to generate the mechanical energy and it stores in a super capacitor and the final output of the energy will be in the form of few LEDS glowing.

thanks nd regards

sunil

12. Brafferton

Feb 9, 2011
    So using a little dc motor, a couple of meccano gears an old clock spring and more meccano -or wood should do the trick.. The same motor that turns the spring would act as a dynamo when the spring is released, so you want a DPDT switch to a filament bulb (you could blow LED's too easily)

and you're sorted!!

Who's good at drawing here?

13. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    windup torch like this? This doesn´t use spring, but a geared motor. To store the energy in a capacitor you should use a SMPS as it is more efficient.

[​IMG]

14. Adjuster

Dec 26, 2010
    I can't really agree with that. With the low power he is likely to achieve from his set-up, modern high-efficiency LEDs would be much better because they would give more light. Clearly, the LED current would need to be regulated or at least limited, but this is hardly rocket science. A switching regulator would likely give the best results, especially with capacitor storage, but perhaps that might be getting a bit too difficult for the OP.

If the system uses a spring as suggested, one issue would be obtaining a high enough gear ratio without undue friction, so that the torque could be appropriate to obtaining a low current and (relatively) long running time. With only "a couple of Meccano gears" the spring might tend to run down in a very few seconds generating a short sharp burst of energy. In this case, he might just as well omit the spring and rely on a capacitor, or perhaps a small rechargeable battery.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  15. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Not sure this is going down the right path. Originally the question was about mechanical storage of electrical energy. maybe OP does not understand his/her own assignment, or I don't, one of the 2. any Capacitor charging would be electrical storage of electrical energy. My suggestion is get one of those windup lights you were talking about, replace the crank handle with a spool, wrap a string a few times around the spool, then tie a rock on the end and drop the rock. let the mechanical (potential kinetic) energy do the "storing" until you drop the rock.

16. sunil.dakuri

Feb 9, 2011
    Yes i am looking for this topic only and thank you very much and sorry for late reply because i am new to this forum, and could u give me the basic circuit diagram for this assignment

my main aim of this assignment was with the help of hand cranked technology i want to generate the energy and it stores it in capacitors and my finally was glowing leds.

thanking you,
    sunil

17. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Are you suuuure you want to store it in capacitors? That's not MECHANICAL storage of electrical energy, which what you said you wanted in the beginning... Mechanical generation of power, yes but electrical storage.

18. sunil.dakuri

Feb 9, 2011
    thanks for reply now i am sending my project proposal form details, and my supervisor advised to me with the help of hand cranked wind-up torch basic procedure, generate the some mechanical energy and the generated energy will be stores in particular equipment like capacitors and when it was required then the energy will be shown in the form of a electrical sources like glowing bulbs.

in my point of view hand cranked generation will be consideration as a mechanical energy

the generated energy will be stores in a capacitors

LED bulbs glowing is a resultant of electrical energy, based on my knowledge i collected some basic circuits and i am sending to you sir please find the attachment and suggesting me but weather its correct or not i don't know.

Mechanical Storage of Electrical Energy:

A number of windup products such as a windup radio and windup torch are available which store mechanical energy in a spring which when released powers a small electrical generator. The aim of this project is to design and implement a hand powered mechanical to electrical energy storage and release system. This could be in the form of a spring or perhaps a small flywheel, or even a supercapacitor charged from a generator. Then when required the stored energy is released as electrical energy.

• sai.doc
      File size:
      40 KB
      Views:
  19. sunil.dakuri

Feb 9, 2011
    sir could u give me the basic circuit diagram of wind-up torch using smps.

thanks nd regards,

sunil