Mechanical Bull Motor Issues

jr88fan

Joined Jun 20, 2014
I have a Mechanical Bull that we run at various biker events around PA and We donate half the money we make on this bull to various charities around the area. I had an issue with a motor that I was using and I am having one hell of a time finding a replacement!

The current motor ran for about 5 years but has since died. It is a Leeson Model CM30D18NZ4C and I have searched high and low on the Internet and I have not been able to find a direct replacement and that Model number does not even come up with anything on Leeson's web site.

I am also including a picture of the tag as I know it contains pertinent information like Horsepower, Frame Size, Duty Type, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have a show coming up this week and will lose a ton of money if I cannot get this bull up and running.

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It appears to be a permanent magnet DC motor?
Is there more info on the plate?
Does it have 2 carbon brushes?
It is only a fractional HP so it should not be hard to find a replacement, you may have to modify the mounting.
Try a local Motor dealer or Baldor rep.
Max.

jr88fan

Joined Jun 20, 2014
Thanks for the replies! It does have a few more items on the plate but my next question is what are the important items to look for when trying to find a replacement.

Frame Size? I have been trying to cross refernce the Model# and Cat# on various pages and having no luck. I guess this is technically a gear motor as it has a gear that is mounted to the end of the drive and that is where the pulley is mounted. I was trying to find something that would still mount to that gear but with maybe a little more horsepower.

I contacted Leeson and they said it was a special build motor and I should contact someone in my area to rebuild the motor but not having much luck with that either.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The motor technology is important and if the motor speed is controlled, look to see if it says DC motor and what voltage.
They are plentiful on ebay as ex Treadmill motors, but size may be a little overkill.
You could even look for a DC servo motor of the same size/voltage, if in fact it is DC.
Max.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Leeson Motors is still in business and I know there is one in Canada. Here is a link:

http://www.leeson.ca/html/Products/custmotors.htm

You could also try Baldor, Rotom, Globe Scott Motors and as the man said, you could always take it to a rebuilder. Quick question. If you smell the motor, does it smell burnt to you? It may be that after five years, the brushes have worn out and that is a fairly easy fix. Stay on this website and you will get the help you need. Where are you located?
Can you send more pics of this unit showing both ends and maybe add some dimensions, shaft type, how the pulley or gear is held in place etc?