Measuring Voltage from the Mains

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Viann, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Viann

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 16, 2009
    My project is to build a digital watt meter, to measure the Voltage, Current, Power, etc. from an appliance connected.

My question is, is there a way I could measure voltage from a 240V/50Hz mains connecting to an appliance?

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Generally speaking, a voltmeter works extremely well. In your case, using a transformer to reduce the voltage by some known factor and to provide galvanic isolation might be a start. Rectifying and filtering the voltage makes applying it to an ADC much simpler.

Use a current transformer for that function, and you have your instrument under way.

3. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
  4. n9352527

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 14, 2005
  5. Tahmid

Jul 2, 2008
    You can use a sense resistor that creates a specific voltage across it at a specific current. Use the formula V=IR, thus R = V/I.
    Then amplify this voltage using a non-inverting amplifier and then send this to a PIC to sense the voltage, thus you know how much current passed through. Then sense the voltage before the resistor. Amplify and send to PIC. Now you know the voltage. Use software to calculate the Wattage and you know everything.
    Hope this helps.

6. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    Phase angle?