measuring dc voltage in a unique way!

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by poison3000, Oct 3, 2010.

1. poison3000

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    hello people ...

u probably saw and used a Digital voltmeter (or multimeter ) .. and when u choose the a node to measure its voltage u can read it clearly on small LCD screen ...

well , is it possible to have a circuit where some sort of a chip that u connect it across any component on the circuit ( say a resistor ) and that chip will start streaming bits that is linear to the dc voltage across that component ?

my idea is to have two separate dc voltages outputted from two different chip , then a magical chip or circuit will read theses dc voltage output and intrepret it some binary value , then binary values taken to digital comparator and decides which dc voltage value is bigger in magnitude ...

so , is there a way to build or find such chip ? what is it called ?

please help :confused:

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    That task can be done by any number of microprocessors. They must be able to input at least two separate sources to the A to D converter. There must be some means to insure the measured voltages are within the limits of the device.

After conversion, the larger voltage will have a larger numeric value.

poison3000 likes this.
  3. poison3000

Oct 3, 2010
    hmmm ... can u , please , show me a reference to read ?

4. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    poison3000 likes this.
  5. poison3000

Oct 3, 2010
    so basically i can deal with dc voltage as analog signal and use Analog-to-Digital Converter ? after all, dc voltage is continuous-time and continuous-amplitude , but with zero frequency .. right ?

6. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    It can be, but a DC signal can vary with time at any frequency. The thing that makes it DC is that the signal voltage is always one polarity - either positive or negative. A signal becomes AC if it crosses the zero voltage line.

poison3000 likes this.
  7. poison3000

Oct 3, 2010
    thank u very much .. u saved my day !!!