Measurement of medically related parameters e.g blood pressure, ECG, heart rate, etc

ibksolar

Joined Aug 7, 2008
hi everyone,
I'm a final year Engineering student. My project has to do with the construction of a device measuring five or more medically related parameters such as ECG, blood pressure, heart rate,etc and displaying the measured values on the screen and possibly sending this data to a computer and send it to another computer in a remote location.
The idea is that an operation is ongoing in a particular location A with the expert in a remote location B. I want to measure certain things from the patient and send it to the consultant in the remote location.

My concern is this: I'm not good with design and construction. I know next to nothing but sure can learn if well guided. What am I to learn? Where do I start from? Learnt I could use some PIC's to measure some of these parameters(temperature, blood pressure), what about others? Where do I start?

Hoping to get a response soon. Thank all in advance!!

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
ECG is quite forward to measure. For the blood pressure will it be invasive or non invasive. Heart rate is a value that you most often do not "measure" You extract that data from invasive blood pressure or the ECG as some examples. I am not sure what you want for the fourth value. Maybe Oxygen Saturation (SpO2)
In order to measure this. Will you be using of the self technology. Or is meant that you shall design a front-end that measure the data for you? Have you got any clarification on this matter from your tutor.

ibksolar

Joined Aug 7, 2008
ECG is quite forward to measure. For the blood pressure will it be invasive or non invasive. Heart rate is a value that you most often do not "measure" You extract that data from invasive blood pressure or the ECG as some examples. I am not sure what you want for the fourth value. Maybe Oxygen Saturation (SpO2)
In order to measure this. Will you be using of the self technology. Or is meant that you shall design a front-end that measure the data for you? Have you got any clarification on this matter from your tutor.
Sorry have been away for a while: lets start with ECG, I'm not so familiar with it. How do I measure it?
Am presently in a different state from my Supervisor but as soon as I get some concrete information to start work with I will give him a visit. Please what do you mean by self technology in measuring oxygen saturation?

ibksolar

Joined Aug 7, 2008
I think he meant off the shelf, something you can buy ready built.
I think a ready built equipment is a bad idea for a final year project. I will prefer using available technologies to build it from scratch. Moreso, I'm measuring several parameters using just one equipment.
Thanks for the quick response again.