Measured voltage + current direction

jamjes

Joined May 10, 2010
Lets see if I have this right:

A voltmeter has black and red leads.

Connecting it to a battery with black on - and red on + will read, say, +9v. This is because there is a net surplus of electrons with charge on the black lead and a net deficit of electrons on the red lead. The pd causes current to flow, charge moving from - to + on the battery.

My reasoning is the polarity on the voltmeter must indicate the direction of current flow.

But is this always the case?

Are there cases where a pd is +3v, but charge is flowing red to black?

Last edited:

Bychon

Joined Mar 12, 2010
Electrons always come out the negative end of the battery and go to the positive end, if the voltage is 9, or 3 or.03 volts. Electrons ALWAYS go the same way.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
If you measure the pd across a battery, electrons flow out of the negative terminal.

If you measure the pd across a resistor, electrons flow into the negative side of the resistor.

This is true for all cases in DC circuits and resistive loads. If the load is s capacitor or an inductor then you have to know if at the moment of the measurement it is acting as a source or as a load.

russ_hensel

Joined Jan 11, 2009
No No No. Think about a half discharged battery, being charged. Current flows backwards "into" the battery. I do not want to get into the + to - direction of current flow issue.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
No No No. Think about a half discharged battery, being charged. Current flows backwards "into" the battery. I do not want to get into the + to - direction of current flow issue.
Yes, that is right, you have to know if the component the voltage is measured across behaves like a load or like a source.

jamjes

Joined May 10, 2010
So, during capacitor charging, its acting like a load, the voltage across it might be +3v and charge is moving towards the capacitor plates.

During discharge, its a source, and the voltage across might be +2.5 volts at some point in time, but current is moving away from the plates.

So... (particulary in AC circuits?), the sign of the voltmeter/oscilloscope cannot determine for certain the current direction ? :)

*starts wondering about NPN and PNP transistors*

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
You cannot determine the direction of flow of current just by measuring only the voltage unless you know what is going on in the circuit.