Measure inductor with arduino

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

That usually means one of the following:
1. Theory behind the technique does not work outside a certain range.
2. Either current or voltage is being exceeded.
3. Part has behavior that is based more on parasitic sundries than usual.
4. Frequency response of some of the test circuit parts is not favorable for the given unknown part.
5. Part is bad.

If you had a scope it would help to troubleshoot, or you could mention what values you are measuring, those that work and those that dont work.

fsoender

Joined Dec 10, 2015
Hi,

That usually means one of the following:
1. Theory behind the technique does not work outside a certain range.
2. Either current or voltage is being exceeded.
3. Part has behavior that is based more on parasitic sundries than usual.
4. Frequency response of some of the test circuit parts is not favorable for the given unknown part.
5. Part is bad.

If you had a scope it would help to troubleshoot, or you could mention what values you are measuring, those that work and those that dont work.

Thanks for the reply. I got a 15.2mH coil and it gives me an value of 15mH. Now and then, approximate 10-15 readings it gives me 9mH.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

Oh that's different then, it sounded like some parts worked and some did not.

Since it is the same part then it could just be noise or the Arudino does not always catch the pulse(s) right. I would not worry too much about it then.
For example of a quick fix, you can change the code to reject values that fell outside a range centered at the average of several readings. That would give more consistent results and display rendering.
Another fix might involve reading the pulse(s) using a different technique.

fsoender

Joined Dec 10, 2015
Hi,

Oh that's different then, it sounded like some parts worked and some did not.

Since it is the same part then it could just be noise or the Arudino does not always catch the pulse(s) right. I would not worry too much about it then.
For example of a quick fix, you can change the code to reject values that fell outside a range centered at the average of several readings. That would give more consistent results and display rendering.
Another fix might involve reading the pulse(s) using a different technique.
Thanks, will try that out.