meaning of lags

some_random_

Joined Jun 4, 2014
After all the searching on the meaning of lags , i still cant find or understand what it means!! :(:confused:I really do hope someone would please use an simple explanation to tell me what it means...

wmodavis

Joined Oct 23, 2010
After all the searching on the meaning of lags , i still cant find or understand what it means!! :(:confused:I really do hope someone would please use an simple explanation to tell me what it means...

Since words have multiple possible meanings it would perhaps help if you explain the context.

For instance:

Lag screws

"Lag is a failure of an application to respond in a timely fashion to inputs."
"In online gaming, lag is a noticeable delay between the action of players and the reaction of the server."

"not to be confused with latency (the time it takes to send a packet to and recieve a response packet from a server along a network), lag is impaired computer functionality (slow application responses or reduced/choppy framerates) resulting from high latency, packet loss, or low-preformance (generally video) hardware"

not to be confused with latency (the time it takes to send a packet to and recieve a response packet from a server along a network), lag is impaired computer functionality (slow application responses or reduced/choppy framerates) resulting from high latency, packet loss, or low-preformance (generally video) hardware "

Google is your friend! Use it to look up the meanings of words. That is what I just did.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
You have current or voltage leading or lagging in reactive circuits.

You have jet lag when travelling across multiple time zones.

Your context is missing, which is why I suggested you go to the dictionary.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012

Assuming (since you aren't providing any context) that you are talking about leading and lagging as they apply to AC power, then is seems hard to imagine that you couldn't find an adequately simple explanation on line or, more to the point, that we could provide a sufficiently simpler one to what is available on line.

For instance, I Googled: lagging AC and got the following Wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leading_and_lagging_current#Lagging_Current

which states: Lagging current can be formally defined as “an alternating current that reaches its maximum value up to 90° behind the voltage that produces it”.

For us to do much better than that, we need to you tell use what part of this type of description doesn't make sense to you. Then we might be able to offer some meaningful clarification.