MCU Recommendation

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by jordanstreet, Nov 16, 2012.

1. jordanstreet

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Hello all,
    I am looking for a microcontroller solution with atleast the following parameters:

2 timers
    2 UART
    - 1 for MIDI data
    - 1 for interfacing with USB flash drive host board
    ~35 GPIO
    - 11 for interfacing with serial LCD char display (RS, R/-W, E, DB7:0)
    - 15 for push buttons
    - 9 for LEDs

I looked at the C2000 launchpad but it didn't have nearly enough GPIO. I saw some header boards which would seem to have the necessary pin out but then I would need to invest in a JTAG programmer.

Does anyone know of a board with this level of pin-out that I could program through USB? If there is a better solution please let me know, thanks!

2. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
  3. BillO

Nov 24, 2008
  4. John P

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 14, 2008
    I'm not understanding what a "USB flash drive host board" means. Something that a thumb drive plugs into? If that's the idea, then I'd suggest an SPI interface instead of a UART. That way you'd only need one UART on the processor, which lets you use a "small" microcontroller. In fact it might make sense to use SPI to do much or all of your I/O interfacing; it's generally easier to communicate with multiple devices that way, versus UARTs. You can use 74HC495 chips for output, and 74HC165 chips for input, and you'd end up not needing many I/Os on the chip itself.

But a lot hangs on your programming experience. What are you most confident in working with? If you can spare yourself the need to learn the software for some complex system, you'll save huge amounts of time.

5. jordanstreet

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 16, 2012
  6. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    That is like asking what food you should eat today.

You have tons of choices. You first need to decide on a company. The company is going to depend on how much work you want to do on your own.

If you want plug in modules then the arduino is a good choice.

If you want cheap then Microship is a good choice.

Most chip manufacturers have a parametric search. You can use it to determine the chip you need.