MCP73811 for 3.7 V Li-Ion battery

beedees

Joined Mar 29, 2015
Hi everybody!
I have a 3.7 V Li-Ion battery and I'm looking for the charge circuit. I found this: a Charge Management Controller. But I don't understand if I can use MCP73811 to charge a 3.7 V battery or not.

Sorry but it's the first time that I deal with this kind of circuit. Thanks to all!

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Hi everybody!
I have a 3.7 V Li-Ion battery and I'm looking for the charge circuit. I found this: a Charge Management Controller. But I don't understand if I can use MCP73811 to charge a 3.7 V battery or not.

Sorry but it's the first time that I deal with this kind of circuit. Thanks to all!
What kind of battery do you plan on using ??

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
You say you have a Li-Ion battery. The datasheet for the part says it will work with a Li-Ion battery. What exactly do you think might be a problem?

I suggest that you spend about an hour reading the datasheet carefully. Just like when you read a novel or other work of non-fiction every time you come across a word or concept you don't understand -- track down an answer. Use Google, ask here, or phone a friend.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
You say you have a Li-Ion battery. The datasheet for the part says it will work with a Li-Ion battery. What exactly do you think might be a problem?

I suggest that you spend about an hour reading the datasheet carefully. Just like when you read a novel or other work of non-fiction every time you come across a word or concept you don't understand -- track down an answer. Use Google, ask here, or phone a friend.
I was only asking cause you can pick up a usb Li-Ion charger for a couple buck on Ebay ..

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I was only asking cause you can pick up a usb Li-Ion charger for a couple buck on Ebay ..
You're absolutely correct. I was responding to the TS/OP who specified in the original post what kind of battery and what kind of chip he was considering. In most cases it is more cost effective to buy simple things already fabricated, unless your goal is to learn something in the process of building something.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
The MCP73811 is a Charge Management Controller, not a charging circuit.

So no......it will not charge your battery.

You may use it to build a charging circuit, if you are skilled, or if you are bold and daring, and have a little money to spare.

You will need a bunch of more components to build a charging circuit. And time. And questions.

If time and money have priority, buy appropriate charger on ebay.

Why not do both? A cheap charger off of ebay will allow to charge your battery, ‘til you get your charger built.

Then compare the two. And you have a spare one.

q1werty

Joined Sep 16, 2010
I'm not pretty sure about that claim:
Captura de pantalla de 2023-10-17 15-14-21.png

The MCP73811 is a Charge Management Controller, not a charging circuit.

So no......it will not charge your battery.

You may use it to build a charging circuit, if you are skilled, or if you are bold and daring, and have a little money to spare.

You will need a bunch of more components to build a charging circuit. And time. And questions.

If time and money have priority, buy appropriate charger on ebay.

Why not do both? A cheap charger off of ebay will allow to charge your battery, ‘til you get your charger built.

Then compare the two. And you have a spare one.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
The datasheet for the MCP7311 shows a charger circuit that produces 450mA that might explode your battery.
The datasheet for your battery should say what is its charging current.