Maximum Transfer Rate Of MAX232 IC

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Shear_Intelligence, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Shear_Intelligence

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 10, 2012
    hi there,

i need to write an application which takes data from avr circuitry and saves to pc, i need to know the maximum transfer rate supported by max232 ic and the pc com port.

thanks

2. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Sorry, my crystal ball is in the shop.

How on earth are we supposed to know the maximum baud rate of your computer's com port?

As for the MAX232, you might try Googling, say, perhaps "MAX232" and looking at the data sheet.

They indicate that the typical baud rate 120kb/s. They don't spec a max baud rate, but the propagation delays and slew rates given are fairly consistent with this and it is unlikely that you could get much more than twice that rate. The fastest standard baud rate below 120kb/s is 115.2kb/s and many of the later PC com ports supported that speed (and seldom any higher). So that is probably the best bet to go with, but verify your computer's port using a loopback cable (which can be just a couple wires to connect the TX and RX pins together) and a terminal communication program such as Hyperterminal.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
    Shear_Intelligence likes this.
  3. Shear_Intelligence

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 10, 2012
    thanx honey!!